Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Abuja bank robbery: Fleeing mastermind arrested

Emmanuel Onani, Abuja

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command has announced the arrest of a suspected mastermind of last weekend's failed robbery attempt on a first generation bank in Mpape, Abuja.


According to the command, the fleeing suspect, Ernest Ewim, was arrested at his hideout within the Katampe 1 general area of Abuja, by detectives. This brings the total number of suspects arrested to five.

It will be recalled that one suspect was gunned down at the scene of the foiled robbery incident. During the presentation of four suspects in connection with the foiled robbery incident to journalists on Tuesday, a banker, Larry Ehizo, who drove the suspects into the bank premises in his car, had accused Ewim of being the mastermind.

Ehizo said:  "I met Ernest in November and we had a discussion at where we used to hang out. I said something after he complained about our services in the bank. We almost got into a serious argument and I told him that the only thing he would do was to get angry and maybe not bank with us again. He said he was going to hurt someone and I told him not to do that. I told him that the highest he could do was to rob the bank to make them feel bad. I did not know he had that on record and he used that to threaten and blackmail me. He said that that I must take the people that he would bring into the bank. He also threatened my family, my girlfriend and people around me. After that, I was afraid to go to the police because he said even if I go to the police, that he had already informed his colleagues. He is a cultist. He said that anything I got after the robbery, that I should take it.”

The police disclosed that the suspect was smoked-out of his hideout on January 1.

The statement by the police reads in part: “Following the on-going investigation in the last Saturday’s foiled robbery attempt at a bank in Mpape, Operatives of the FCT Police Command Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) have arrested Ernest Ewim, 29, a member of the notorious armed robbery gang, who had been at large. The suspect, who played a major role in the foiled robbery attempt, was arrested by a team of detectives at his hideout in Katampe1 on January 2020, 1, at about 4: pm. With the arrest of Ewim, the numbers of suspects arrested in connection with the foiled robbery attempt are now five. The suspects are Ernest Ewim (29), Larry Ehizom (30), Princewill Obinna (24), Timothy Joe (21) 21years, and Elijah David (19). The Command reiterates its unwavering commitment to ensure the protection of lives and property and provide FCT residents with quality service delivery.”
The Police vowed to charge the suspects to court, upon conclusion of investigation.


No comments: