Sunday, January 19, 2020

Nigerian lady trafficked into slavery in Lebanon rescued

Juliana Francis

The 23-year-old Nigerian lady, Ajayi Omolola, who was trafficked into slavery in Lebanon by a family friend, has been rescued, said the National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Person and Other Related Matters (NAPTIP).


According to Lagos State Zonal Command, Daniel Atokolo, Omolola has been rescued and presently with the Nigerian Ambassador in Lebanon, Amos Oluwole Idowu.

It will be recalled that the victim, in viral video, cried out to Nigerians last week, begging them to assist her to leave Lebanon, where she was sold to a Lebanese as a slave.

The Chairman Nigerian Diaspora Commission, Hon. Abike Dabiri was said to have made an instant intervention after the lady’s video went viral.

The Nigerian embassy in Lebanon was also said to have quickly intervened and Omotola is now in the safe hands of embassy authorities.

It was further gathered that the family friend, who facilitated the trafficking of the victim, had been arrested.

Atokolo said: “On the other hand, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) effected the arrest of the agent, a Lebanese man and others connected in the trafficking of the lady. They’ll all be handed over to NAPTIP, Oshogbo command, early this week for further investigation.”
In the video, Omotola stated: “A family friend introduced me to the Lebanese that brought me here to teach their children English language. It turned out to be a lie. When I got here, they collected my passport and kept it. I asked why they did that, I was told that I had been sold as a slave. What I’m facing here is not a small thing. I hope I don't die. If we’re sick, they wouldn’t tale us to hospital and they only give us analgesic. Half of the people we came to Lebanon together with have died. The person I’m with now wants to rape me, but I didn't agree. I’m struggling with him. He has collected my phone. He said that he wouldn’t return it until I accept his sexual advances. If he is sleeping or has gone out, I take the phone.”


No comments: