Sunday, January 19, 2020

‘Government should assist me to employ Nigerians, not arrest me’

Juliana Francis

A 34-year-old man, David Egbenagu Ozoemenam, has expressed anger over his arrest by operatives of the Inspector-General of Police Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT) for allegedly manufacturing and selling poisonous alcoholic drinks in Lagos State.


Ozoemenam, a Primary School Certificate Holder, said that instead of accusing him of manufacturing and selling poisonous alcoholic drinks, police and government should be looking for ways to assist him to improve his brewing business, so that he could become an employer of labour.

According to the police, the suspect was arrested for manufacturing alcoholic drinks and wine with fake NAFDAC number. They alleged that consumption of the drinks by the suspect’s customers must have landed many in hospitals.  

A police source revealed that Ozoemenam was placed under surveillance following a public outcry over the health hazards allegedly caused by the alcohol, wine and other beverages under the suspect’s brand called, “Stock.”
The source further said: “Majority of the consumers are street urchins, who graduated into cultists, armed robbers, kidnappers, ritual killers and human traffickers, thereby destroying youths and increasing the crime rate in the areas through what they consumed. It was based on those and other factors that the IGP, Mohammed Adamu, following a petition, ordered a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Abba Kyari, to look into the matter. Kyari got in touch with the IRT Southwest coordinator, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Philip Rieninwa and investigation began in earnest. Rieninwa led a special team to survey, trail and discover factories that manufacture such drinks.”

The source further explained that the police were only able to penetrate Ozoemenam’s company by posing as prospective buyers and distributors. It was after they gained access into the factory that they were able to monitor production process and found it wanting.

The IRT Operatives, one day, trailed him to the markets, where he buys empty bottles for his drinks and ingredients for mixing and arrested him as he was driving back to his factory.
The operatives took him to his factory and confiscated some of the drinks. The police also took pictures of the substandard tools and machines he uses in manufacturing the drinks. 
Ozoemenam, married with three children, said: “I used to sell wine and beverages before I ventured into manufacturing of alcohol, wine and beverages. I’m the owner of the house I am using as residence and factory. 
My brand name is ‘Stock’ and I manufacture stock gins and brandy. The ingredients I use are food grade ethanol, brand flavour, caramel, glucose syrup and treated water. 
I don't have NAFDAC number because at the time I started this manufacturing business, I had financial problem. I couldn’t pay for NAFDAC number. Moreover, customers don't know the difference between genuine NAFDAC number and a fake. They feel it is a waste of time to check.”
While explaining how easy it was to produce a drink, Ozoemenam cited example of Chelsea drinks.

He said: “If you get something like a bottle of Chelsea, you’ll see the ingredients used to manufacture it on its label. If you get all the ingredients and mix them, you’ll at the end produce Chelsea drinks.”

He added: “People, who get problem from alcoholic drinks or wine, are those who abuse such drinks. These are people, who take drinks which their bodies do not need. Others are those who, when they see free drinks, drink to stupor. Even water disturbs when taken too much.” 
The suspect, who said that he stopped his education at primary six because of finance, described himself as, “a very brilliant person.”

Ozoemenam came to Lagos in 1999 and stayed with Daniel Okafor as his apprentice. Ozoemenam explained that it was Okafor, who taught him the rudiments of buying and selling of alcoholic drinks and wine. He learnt the trade for six years.

He, however, added: “But nobody taught me how to manufacture wine, alcohol and beverages. Nobody had ever complained of my products. People like my products and some people, who are in the same business, are not happy because of my rapid progress, hence, they started giving out bad and unfounded information about me. What I produce is not a fake! Fake is the imitation of another person’s drink. What I produced is Stock Gin, Stock Brandy and Stock Rose Berg. They are not harmful. Stock is my own product, although it is not registered. My enemies are just envious and trying to put me out of work.”

Asked why some of his cans of drinks swell, Ozoemenam replied: “What makes it to swell at times is high temperature. What is inside the drink is herb sample. If you notice any change like swelling, it is not well heated in fire.
The ones that were well heated don't swell like that. The company we buy flavour for mixing the drinks is situated at Opebi Roundabout. The owner, Dr. Harry, has a Doctorate Degree (Phd) in Chemistry. We go to him for advice. Anything we don't know, we go to him. Companies that sell ingredients to us usually ask us what we want to produce. They give us the measurement of every item required for the production.”

On how he was arrested, Ozoemenam said: "I buy bottles from roadside because I can’t afford going to a manufacturing company. If I go to such a company, I’ll have to pay N40million. I don’t have that kind of money. Government is supposed to assist me because I can become an employer of labour. My product is not harmful! If it was, it would have killed me. I used to test it during production.
“I don't have NAFDAC number because at the time I started this business, I had financial problem and I could not pay for NAFDAC number. Moreover, customers don't know the difference between genuine NAFDAC number and fake. They feel it is a waste of time to check the number in NAFDAC office. Even NAFDAC officials don't take time to check the number they issue to people. The worse are customers who take any number they see as NAFDAC number.”

He noted that his company has been registered with Corporate Affairs Commission. “I use four rooms in my house as factory to manufacture stock products. I started manufacturing in September 2019. When I was selling wine and beverages, I was making cool money. I used to make N150, 000 monthly. At a point, the business was no longer profitable due to differences in dollar exchange. Naira lost its value to a point that N1, 000,000 may not be up to N300, 000.  It affected buying and selling badly, although I have built a house in my village and another in Lagos from buying and selling hot drinks and beverages.” 
On what made him to abandon buying and selling for manufacturing, he said: “When I saw that two of my colleagues, especially Innocent Iloabuchi, who went into manufacturing of drinks, were doing well, I decided to try my hands on manufacturing to see if I could become rich like them. I told my wife and she advised me to go ahead.
When I started, I went to Ojota to get the materials I had earlier mentioned. I started mixing them based on what I copied from companies that manufacture hot drinks, wine and beverages. When I want to manufacture gin, I would get a bottle of Chelsea and copy the percentage of the ingredients as written on its label and it will be fine and correct when I use the same percentage to manufacture mine. At times, I get advice from the companies that sell the ingredients to me, including the measurement and the correct percentage.”

On how he got empty bottles with which he uses in bottling the drinks, he responded: "I used to buy empty bottles from market. I don't even have a laboratory where I can test the ingredients to know the one that has expired because all these things require money. I print labels in Ojo Barracks. There is one man called Ojo, who has his office right inside the Army Barracks. He is the person that prints for me. A sheet costs N40 and nobody disturbs him because people are afraid to go inside army barracks to question him.
“I have a Sienna car which I use to supply goods to my customers within Iyano-Oba area of Lagos, just to avoid having a confrontation with NAFDAC officials. But I have a trade mark which is Stock. I had earlier planned to register my products before I started manufacturing, but I had financial constraint. Manufacturing alcoholic drinks and wine is more profitable than buying and selling. You can manufacture millions of bottles of hot drinks and wine and it is not as strenuous as buying and selling.”
Arguing that his products were not harmful, Ozoemenam said: “There is no health hazard in what I manufacture because I used to test it myself before supplying. The ingredients are used to to specification and standard. Nobody has died or gone to psychiatric hospital after taking my products.” 

No comments: