Tuesday, January 14, 2020

‘Don’t blame me for selling cartridges, blame my parents’

Ifeoma Chimeziri and Godstime Simon

Mr Felix Anichukwu, 44, who was arrested by Operatives of the Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT) for allegedly selling Pump Action Rifle to robbers at Oshogbo, Osun State, has told the police to blame his parents for his situation.

The suspect, an indigene of Mpu, in Aniriri Local Government Area of Enugu State, was arrested in his house at Oshogbo, Osun State.
Anichukwu confessed to have started learning the firearms business from one Mr Oyoyo, residing in Ondo State, after his parents couldn’t afford to send him to secondary school. He said that his education stopped after his primary school.
 Anichukwu said: “After my primary school education, my parents sat down together and contemplated the trade I should learn. They decided I should go and learn how to make firearms. They took me to Ondo State to learn the trade that was in 1976. After serving my master from 1976 to 1988, I was settled to start my own firearms making business. Before I started my business, I applied for license from the police and was given. It was then I started the firearms and cartridge business.”
The suspect further narrated: “On June, 24, at about 12pm, I was planning to go to my shop, but decided to relax first. I was still relaxing when my security guard called me that some people were looking for me. He said that they were at the gate. When I got to the gate, I saw policemen. The policemen identified themselves adding that they were from IRT Unit. It was then I was told that they had information about me, that I had been selling Pump Action Rifles to robbers.
“I was shocked when the policemen said I was selling rifles to robbers. I told them immediately that I don’t sell rifles, I only sell cartridges. After that, they went into my house to search my rooms. Unfortunately, 40 packets of the cartridges were recovered. I told those were the only thing I sell. I don’t sell guns, let alone to armed robbers. I told them I was not license to sell cartridges. I know it is illegal for me to sell cartridges and ammunition. I know I’m guilty for selling the cartridges and ammunition. Please, I want government to forgive and have mercy on me because of my family members.”

No comments: