Monday, September 19, 2016

‘Recession forced me to abandon my day-old baby’

A 31-year-old woman, Ifunaya Eme, yesterday told journalists in Lagos that she abandoned her one-day-old baby on the roadside because of economic recession. 

Eme, who was paraded yesterday at the state Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja, claimed that the baby’s father rejected her when she was pregnant.
The woman told our correspondent that she had three kids in her previous marriage but left them with her elder sister in Enugu State to take care of them before she relocated to Lagos “to hustle”. Eme said she abandoned the baby at the gate of her house after giving birth to her.
She said: “I gave birth to the baby about 1a.m. in our general toilet. After cleaning myself, I took the baby and dumped her at the gate of our house before going inside to sleep. “I learnt that it was our community chairman and some neighbours who informed the police about the incident.
I am living with my sister at 1, Prince Bello Street, Ajangbadi area of Ojo, but I was impregnated by a man called John. “Immediately I noticed I was pregnant, I tried to contact John on the phone but to no avail. I was told that he had travelled. We only met last year and since then I have not seen him again.” Eme also explained that on the fateful day, she gave birth to the baby herself without any assistance. She added: “I never thought of going back to check her after dropping her at the gate near the road.
“My intention was for someone to pick her and take care of her, because of my financial predicament. I am sorry for my action. Nobody knew I was pregnant because I had a flat stomach.” The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, said the baby was found wrapped in a sack and dumped on the roadside.https://newtelegraphonline.com/recession-forced-abandon-day-old-baby/

No comments: