Monday, January 15, 2018

‘I’m not a robber, I only rent gun to armed robbers’


A suspect, Omole Ridwan, 21, arrested for armed robbery by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), Ikeja, Lagos State Command, has denied being an armed robber.
Ridwan, who confessed to being a member of the Aiye Confraternity, said that he was not into robbery, but only hires out his operational gun to armed robbers for operation.
His words: “I hired the gun out to my friend. He first gave me N10, 000:00. The second time, it was N10, 000:00 and an Android phone. The third time, he gave me N2, 000; he said the operation was not too smooth.”

Ridwan said that he bought the gun from a secondary school friend for N9, 000:00.
He further said: “I bought the gun because of rival cult members who were disturbing me on the street. They knew I belonged to Aiye Confraternity and yet they wanted me to join them. I bought the gun in September, 2017. It was because my friend, Seyi Ayetoba, knew that I had a gun at home, that he came to ask for it. He afterwards requested that I go with him for operation. I asked him the nature of the operation; he said robbery and motorbike snatching. I told him I couldn’t do such business. Whenever he borrowed the gun and went out on operation, he would return to give me some money.”

According to the police, Ridwan was picked up in his parents’ house in Ajah area of the metropolis after the arrest of three robbery gang in Somolu area.
The three robbery suspects are Taiwo Lawal (23), Kabiru Ajiboye (24) and Seyi Ayetoba (27). They were arrested on Thursday night in Somolu while trying to dispossess a cyclist of his bike.

The police said: “The victim and a passenger, who the gang waylaid, outsmarted them before raising the alarm. The alarm drew the attention of the patrol team of RRS. The robbers were chased and arrested with the assistance of community members.”



The alleged leader of the gang, Seyi Ayetoba, said: “I was initiated into robbery by Tunde. He was the leader of my previous gang. He was arrested sometime last year. I met Tunde in Mushin. Whatever we stole, we sell it in Mushin. It was Tunde who taught me all kinds of tricks I deployed during operation. On the day he was arrested, I didn’t go out with him. I formed my own gang with Taiwo and Kabiru. I took the gun from Ridwan and each time we went on operation, I paid Ridwan for hiring the gun from him. I live in the same street and we belonged to the same confraternity. The areas we have operated were ‘Ajah, Costain, Onipanu, Yaba and National Stadium. We sell motorbike between N60, 000 to N30, 000 depending on its condition.”

Recovered from the gang were locally made short pistols with a 9mm A-K47 live cartridge and a Jack knife.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Chike Oti, said that the gang was cooperating with the police. He added that the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Edgal Imohimi, had lauded community members’ participation in the arrest of the suspects.

The case has been transferred to FSARS for further investigation.

No comments: