Saturday, April 25, 2015

Fraudster forced me into drug trafficking, confesses suspect

Obinna


A suspect said that he would not have gotten involved in drug trafficking if not for the fact that some suspected fraudsters duped him of his hard earned money.


The suspect, Ojo Sunday Akanmu Olusegun, 59, a timber merchant said that his involvement in drug trafficking was due to financial hardship.

Olusegun
Explaining that he was married and has five kids, Olusegun said: “My problem started in 2013 when I lost N2million to fraudsters. I became indebted and had been running from pillar to post without any solution. A young man introduced me into drug trafficking in order for me to pay my debts. Initially, I dismissed the suggestion but when my condition was not getting better, I decided to take the risk. The 10,000 dollars they promised me would have gone a long way in solving my problem. This is my first time of smuggling drugs.”

Olusegun and Igweibuike Obinna, 47, a Lagos based electronic dealer, were arrested at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos in connection with drug ingestion.
Olusegun was caught during the outward screening of passengers on a Delta Airline flight to New York, United States while Obinna, was nabbed on a Virgin Atlantic flight to London Heathrow.

Obinna said that he would have made a million naira from drug trafficking. His words: “I sell electronics at Alaba market in Lagos. I agreed to smuggle drugs because I would have made a million naira to invest in my business. I also needed money to take care of my family. I am married with two children.”

NDLEA Commander at the MMIA said that preliminary investigation shows that Olusegun ingested 75 wraps of substances that tested positive for heroin weighing 1.090kg and Obinna inserted six wraps into his anus and ingested 11 wraps making a total of 17 wraps of cocaine weighing 335 gramms.

The NDLEA chairman, Ahmadu Giade, said that the Agency has recorded remarkable success with the drastic reduction in the arrests of drug traffickers smuggling narcotics to United States and United Kingdom.

Giade states: “This drastic reduction in arrest is due to the extra vigilance and mutual cooperation between      Nigeria, the United States and the United Kingdom. We have a feedback mechanism where arrest made on flights from Nigeria to the US and UK is communicated to us.”


NDLEA spokesman, Mitchel Ofoyeju said: “The last arrest of suspect leaving Nigeria to the United States at the Lagos airport was in May 2012 when one Orji Emeka Christian was apprehended with 1.250kg of heroin. Similarly the last arrest made on Nigeria-United Kingdom route was in October 2014 when one Onyechesi Chidi Christ was found with 25 grammes of cocaine on an Air France flight to Scotland. In 2013, there was also an arrest of one Uzobude Vitus Uju with 1.815kg of cocaine on a British Airways flight to London.”

No comments: