Wednesday, April 22, 2015

If only I’d listened to my wife, cries suspected thief


A suspect who used to steal valuables kept in people’s vehicles said he wished he had listened to several warnings from his wife to desist from crime.


The suspect, Tokunbo Ojo, 55, confessed that his wife had warned repeatedly, stressing that the crime would only bring him shame and disgrace.

He was arrested by detectives attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos Police State Police Command.

A police source said: “The suspect was caught right in the act. He was stealing laptops and other valuables from people’s cars with the use of a master key.”

The suspect was arrested on April 6, 2015, at Yayabatun Street, Ogba, where he was caught while committing the crime. Ojo, married to a car dealer and blessed with two kids, said this was the first time he would be arrested by the police.
He confessed: “I went into stealing because I was financially frustrated. I’ve been doing this now for quite some time. I steal alone. I don’t belong to any gang or group. Whenever I see any packed car, I would peep through the windscreen to see if I could see any valuables. If any, I’ll quietly move towards the car, pretending to be the owner. I’ll use the master key to open the door and then pick items I wanted.”

Ojo explained that he got the master key from a friend he met in a joint where they used to smoke Indian hemp and cocaine.  
“I don’t really like committing such crimes, but find myself doing it each time I got involved in drugs. My first operation was at Agege, where I stole laptops. I’ve not achieved anything good in this business. Rather it had brought me shame and disgrace. If I had listened to my wife who advises me to stop this, I wouldn’t be in police custody today.”

No comments: