Monday, April 6, 2015

I was arrested because robbery is not my field, cries suspect

Uche
A former manager with a sachet water company located at the Ijanikin area of Lagos State said that he was arrested and his gang members escaped because he was lousy in robbery.

The suspect, John Uche 22, said he was only arrested because robbery was not his field.

Uche, presently in the custody of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command, said that devil came and lured him into crime, through “bad friends.”
He said that they convinced him to join them in snatching phones from unsuspecting victims.

Uche said: "I was arrested because robbery is not my field. I’ve never robbed before. This was my first attempt. This is why escape was difficult for me and my colleagues escaped.”

He said that he was a factory manager, collecting N3 per a bag of sachet produced. The workers who pack the sachet water are paid N2.
He said: “I worked with that company for four years. I was sacked with other workers because the business was no longer booming. I became idle.  I know that robbery is bad, but that the devil made me to join the bad gang.”

The suspect was arrested penultimate week by the operatives of the Festac Police Station and transferred to SARS for further investigation.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer, Kenneth Nwosu confirmed his arrest.
Nwosu said that Uche belonged to a three-man-gang of robbers. He added that while Uche was arrested, two others escaped.
He disclosed that the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Police Command, Kayode Aderanti had given the officer in charge of SARS, SP Abba Kyari, a mandate to fish out the fleeing two members.
According to Uche, some of his friends invited him to help them in washing clothes at Maza-Maza because they were into laundry business.

“I didn’t know they were robbers. One day, they said I should follow them to Festac area. I didn’t know they were going for a robbery operation,” recalled. “We went to rob and collect phones in the streets. One of them brought the only gun with two cartridges for the operation. It was an Awka made double barrel shot gun.” He said that as they were moving around in the night, some security guards challenged and arrested them.

Uche said: “We’ve also robbed phones at Maza-Maza before this one. The gang used to give me N3000 for each phone sold.”

The suspect who said he completed his secondary education in 2011 and wrote JAMB exams in the same year further confessed: “My parents are dead. I have two brothers and four sisters. The guards, who arrested me, collected the gun that fell from one of our member, Friday.”

No comments: