Thursday, April 30, 2015

Gunmen kill apprentice, robbed his bloody corpse

Homicide detectives have launched investigation into the brutal shooting and killing of a 24-year-old apprentice killed at the Fadeyi area of Lagos State.

The deceased, Emeka Ibeneme was shot and killed by unknown gunmen who helped themselves to his wallet and phone even as he was gasping his last breath.
The incident which occurred at Ogunjobi Street, also witnessed the shooting and injuring of a banker, Moruf Adebayo, a worker with United Bank of Africa (UBA). Adebayo was shot in the stomach, but survived.
Residents said that both men were victims of a random attack at the area.
The deceased was coming from his master’s shop at Ojuelegba, when the assailants shot him. Unmindful that Ibeneme was bleeding and gasping his last breath, the assailants allegedly pounced on him, removed his wallet and phone from his pocket.
The incident, which occurred around 11pm, was reported at the Alakara Police Station.
A resident said: “The gunmen were over 10. They stormed out street in motorbikes. We discovered that their intention was to disrupt an ongoing naming ceremony at Fasayan Street. We learnt they were cult members and a member of a rival group was having the naming ceremony party.”
It was further gathered that the gunmen had become furious after they got to Fasanya Street, where the party was supposed to be held, but discovered it had been postponed to another day.
Angry at missing their target, the bandits stormed into the streets, shooting sporadically. They vandalized vehicles and beat up innocent traders. A food vendor, identified as Tawa, was beaten mercilessly by the assailants and her food poured away. People eaten in cafeterias were also attacked, their phones and money seized.
The deceased’s boss, Mr. Onyeka Anaezionwu said: “I had not settled down at my apartment when I started hearing gunshots from the bus stop. When the shooting persisted, I became worried about my boy who was not yet back. I and my wife prayed for his safety. I remained inside my apartment until the dust settled. Residents who knew him later rushed to tell me that he was shot and killed. Immediately I saw him his corpse, I fainted.”
Alhaji Sulaimon Adebayo, the father of the banker, said: “I’m always inside my house once its 8pm. But I was surprised when some youths in the area brought my son unconscious to me. Immediately we rushed him to the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital, LUTH, for proper medical attention.”

No comments: