Monday, October 10, 2016

‘Hard drugs caused my wife, father to reject me’



A 41-year-old man has told operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command, that hard drugs caused his wife and father to reject him.

The suspect, Emmanuel Oyewunmi, who was arrested by RRS men for stealing, said that he always steal because he needed money to buy drugs.
According to him, if he was charged to court and imprisoned for this present crime, it would be eighth time he would be going to prison and the third time this year alone.
He said: “Hard drugs have ruined my life. It was the cause of my rejection by my wife, and my father. I got hooked on drug while I was young and getting out of it has been extremely difficult for me. Some faith based non-governmental originations have assisted me through rehabilitation in the past, but I always go back to it. Drug has been the predominant cause of my imprisonment.
If I’m imprisoned now, it would be the eighth time and third time this year.”
Oyewunmi was arrested by operatives on Friday night at Ojodu Berger Bus Stop for stealing N600 and a phone from a bus driver and a passenger.

Oyewunmi, before now, has been on the wanted list of RRS operatives for stealing a Samsung Galaxy S4 belonging to one Mrs. Adesewa Oni.

Oyewunmi was a park keeper outside Shoprite Shopping Mall, Ikeja, when Oni drove in to attend a ceremony at Adeyemi Bero, Auditorium, Alausa.

For keeping an eye on her car, Oni, instead of giving Oyewunmi N200 he requested, decided to drive with him to a nearby ATM, to withdraw some money, in order to give him N1000.

She left Oyewunmi inside her car while she went to the ATM. She later handed N1, 000:00 to Oyewunmi and drove off.

Oni recounted: “I had not driven for more than five minutes when I decided to make some calls for appointments. I realised my phone, Samsung Galaxy S4, was missing. Quickly, my mind raced to him and I realised my folly. How could I have left a total stranger in my car alone, leaving documents and valuable items in the car with him? It was just a silly thing to do for me. I traced him back to that spot but he was gone.”
Oni said that she rushed back to the parking lot at Shoprite, but Oyewunmi, has disappeared. She reported the matter at RRS office.

After his arrest on Friday for stealing from another person, Oyewunmi admitted stealing the phone of Oni when she went to ATM gallery last week Sunday.

His words: “I was push into it by the need to get hard drugs. As soon as I got the phone, I went to Ipodo, in Ikeja to get hard drug. It was the hard drug dealer that bought the phone from me. He bought it for N8, 000:00. I spent the rest on drug.”


Oyewunmi also admitted stealing a phone and N600 from a bus driver and a passenger, but pleaded that he was under the influence of drug.

No comments: