Friday, April 14, 2017

Suspects pose as guards, drivers to rob employers -CP




Detectives attached to Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Lagos State Police Command, have arrested four suspects, who used to disguise as drivers and security guards, in order to rob their employers.

The suspects have been identified as Bamidele Aina 28, Ali Mogunu 33, Mala Abba 28 and Joshua Emmanuel 25.
Aina and Mogunu were first arrested along Ondo State route. They were later used as bait to catch Abba and Emmanuel.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, said that Aina and Mogunu were intercepted by Highway Police Patrol Team at Isua Akoko in Ondo State, while taking a stolen Hyaundai Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) from Omole Phase 2, Lagos to Abuja last Wednesday.
Aina and Mogunu were arrested after the vehicle documents, which they presented, didn’t tally with the number plate of the SUV.
The two other members of the gang, Abba and Emmanuel were allegedly arrested in Lagos, at their hideout by the anti-kidnapping operatives.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, said the suspects’ modus operandi is to pose as drivers and security guards just to get employment and later abscond with their employers’ cars and other valuables.
Owoseni further explained that the suspects, who operate as syndicates, advertised themselves as drivers and guards to companies and individuals, to gain access to information about their employers.
Owoseni said: “One of the suspects, still at large, has been arrested sometimes ago and charged to court for rape and stealing his boss property. He returned from prison to continue in his criminal acts.”
One of the suspects, Mogunu explained: “This is the first time I would be involved in such a deal. I didn’t know the vehicle was a stolen one. I was called by Mala that there was a car we could sell to make some money. He said that a friend brought the vehicle to him; that was why I contacted Bamidele my longtime friend. Bamidele is a driver.  I contacted him to assists me drive the car down to Abuja. We didn’t know it was a stolen car until we were arrested at Ondo State.”
According to Aina, when he asked Mogunu whom the car belonged to, Mogunu lied to him that it belonged to a businessman.
Aina added: “When I was called by Mogunu to drive the vehicle to Abuja, I asked him who owned the vehicle. He told me it belonged to a businessman. He said the man was based in Abuja. They also removed the number plate and replaced it with a customized one. Before we departed for Abuja, the documents given to me didn’t indicate that the SUV has a customized number plate. It was from there I became suspicious. I insisted they should replace the former number plate, which they did.”
He continued: “We were on our way to Abuja, when Highway Police Patrol Team stopped us at Iseu in Akoko, Ondo State. They demanded for the owner of the vehicle. We were confused on what to tell the police; that was how they discovered it was a stolen vehicle. The police arrested and brought us to Lagos.”
Emmanuel, who was alleged to have stolen the vehicle, insisted that it was his first time in getting involved in such a crime. He confessed that he planned to sell the car for N4million.
Emmanuel, a security guard, recounted: “I went to visit a friend, who is a security guard at Magodo.  He wasn't around and his door was open. I saw a car key on his table and took it. I drove the vehicle out of the compound. Some residents in the estate thought I was the security guard. Even my friend didn’t know that I stole the car. I regret my action. When I saw the car key in my friend’s house, I saw it as an opportunity to start a new life. I didn’t want to continue to work as a security guard for anybody. I want to be independent.”
Owoseni urged members of the public to always consult the police, so that prospective domestic workers would be duly profiled before they are employed.

No comments: