Sunday, July 9, 2017

Driver recounts how robbers attacked him



Detectives attached to the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command have arrested two men, who claimed that hunger forced them into crime.

According to the police the suspects, who were initially four, robbed truck driver whose vehicle broke down along the Mile 2 Bridge at the weekend.
While two escaped, the police arrested Sunday Chukwunweike (26) and Emmanuel Friday (28). Others, who are at large at Silas and Sule.
 Chukwunweike and Friday were allegedly arrested after they robbed the driver, Yinusa Salami of his N45, 000 and mobile phone.
Friday, who is a secondary dropout, confessed to have later become a bus conductor. He said that he was in the company of his friends when they noticed the truck driver on the bridge.
Friday claimed that Silas and Sule robbed the driver after the man failed to give them money.
 He said: “It was Silas and Sule that robbed the driver.  After we collected our share from Silas and Sule, we went back to our usual joint; later, the driver brought policemen and arrested us.  It was Silas and Sule that dipped their hands in the driver’s pocket and took N40, 000, phone and went away. They gave us N10, 000 to share because they are stronger than us. We went with Silas and Sule because we were hungry.”
Friday continued: “I have participated in so many crimes such as inter-group fight, hemp smoking, and picking pocket. I have never used gun or any dangerous weapon. I have been to prison twice; once in 2013, where I spent seven months and in 2016, where I bagged three months imprisonment after engaging in a street fight.”
Chukwunweike, who also claimed to be an ex-convict, but blamed his wrong doing on a hard life, stressing that life, had been pretty tough after his three months’ imprisonment.
The truck driver, Salami, said that he stopped at the bridge to pick his brother who was waiting for him there, when the four men suddenly surrounded him.
He said: “I was coming from Apapa and heading to Osun. I wanted to assist my brother, who was equally going to Osun State. I got to the bridge and alighted; that was when I saw the four of them. I was about giving them some money when they seized my arms. They dragged me on the ground and collected all the money in my pocket. The money was about N45, 000. They said they were in control of the area. I later approached some RRS operatives stationed at the other side of the bridge. I reported the incident. They followed me to track the men. We saw them trying to share the money. Two were arrested, the others escaped.”

No comments: