Monday, July 24, 2017

‘My wife has a live-in lover, but I still want her’



Mr. Andy Uzor 40, an engineer, has told an Ifako Ijaiye Customary Court, Ogba, Lagos State, that he was ready to mend fences with his wife, Mrs Uzor Adaeze Favour, 32, even though she is living with her lover in a building adjacent to theirs.


Favour, a fashion designer, filed for divorce, claiming that her husband used to beat and strip her in public. She also said that her husband had refused to pay her dowry, even after three children. She said there was no more love in the marriage. According to her, she and Andy had been living together since 2008.

She said: “He has refused to go and see my parents in Delta State. Every time I remind him, he would say he didn’t have money.”

He said that since Favour moved out their matrimonial home in May 2016, he has discovered that she is living with another man in the building next to theirs.

Andy promised that he would go and see Favour’s parents, in order to pay the dowry if the court did not dissolve the union.
Favour said she wanted the marriage to be dissolved and urged the court to give her custody of the three children. The children are Uzo Emmanuel nine, Uzo Success five and Uzo Destiny four.

Andy, an engineer, told the court that he still loves his wife and wanted her and the children to continue to stay with him.

Favour said that the relationship started experiencing problems after they moved to Ikorodu from Iju-Ishaga at Ifako-Ijaiye Local Government Area.

She said: "He will leave the house for three or four weeks without leaving money for the children and I. I have been taking care of the children, paying their school fees, feeding and clothing them all alone. The man is just irresponsible."

Andy denied his wife’s allegation, explaining he used to stay from their Ikorodu residence because his office, located at Ogba, Ikeja, is far.

He said: “I rented an apartment at Ogba, so I stay there. But I used to drop money for upkeep of my wife and children anytime I came home.”

He also denied beating her. He said: “My wife was receiving at a call, but when she saw me, she hung up.  I demanded to know who she was speaking with; she said it was her brother. I told her to give me the phone, but she refused. I started struggling to collect the phone from her. That was when her wrapper fell off. I immediately tried to cover her up because she was naked beneath. I have never beaten her.”

But the court president of the court, Mrs Elabor Adewulola, dissolved the union. She ruled that the children should continue to stay with their mother, while Andy should continue to take responsibility for their upkeep.


No comments: