Thursday, December 27, 2012

New Year: Police assure Niger residents



SECURITY agencies have assured Christian and non-Christian residents of Niger State of peaceful celebration the New Year, stressing that strategies have been put in place to forestall breakdown of law and order across the state.
They assured Christian faithful of reinforced security at all worship centres, to ensure free New Year services.
Briefing newsmen at the Government House, Minna, the state capital, on Wednesday, the state Commissioner of Police, Mrs Desire D.  Nsirim, said over 50 patrol vehicles,  a large number of police sniffer dogs, as well as plain clothed and uniformed policemen and men of the bomb disposal squad had been deployed to give adequate security before and during the New Year celebration.
The police boss added that other security measures had been put in place, including close monitoring of flash points in the state.
She said the security agencies would build on the successes recorded during the Christmas celebration, warning misguided elements which may be planning to cause any breakdown of law and order to steer clear of the state.
Nsirim stressed that the partial restriction of movements in Suleja on Christmas Day was at the instance of the paramount  ruler and local government chairman in the area, adding that the policy, aside from ensuring safety of life and property during the festive period, also allowed Christians to worship without any fear of attack.
Speaking in a similar vein, the Brigade Commander 31 Field Artillery Brigade, Nigerian Army, Brigadier-General Chris Ilouga, said the army would continue to subject itself to the civil authorities in its supportive role of maintaining security.
Ilouga said the army was only playing  supportive role as far as security issues were  concerned, adding that “we want everyone to continue to live in peace with one another in the overall interest of our nation.”
Tribune

No comments: