Sunday, December 30, 2012

NDLEA arrests two suspects with 2.48kg drugs



The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has arrested at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, two suspected drug traffickers, who ingested a total of 2.485kg illicit drugs.
The agency’s Lagos airport commander, Mr. Hamza Umar, on Friday, gave the names of the suspects as Dickson Daniel Chinedu, 34, and Okeke Joseph Chukwunwike, 30.
Hamza said, “Dickson arrived on a KLM flight on his way from Trinidad and Tobago. He ingested 980g of cocaine at the airport while on transit in Brazil. The other suspect, Okeke ingested 1.170kg of cocaine and 335g of heroin and was to board a Cameroon airline flight to Cameroon when he was apprehended.”
Dickson claimed to have secured a university admission in Trinidad and Tobago.
He reportedly said, “I have just been given admission at the University of Southern Caribbean. I have been working in Trinidad for the past five months. My savings was not enough for my studies so I called a friend in Brazil to help me with $2,000. He said he wanted me to come to Brazil on my way to Lagos and promised to give me $3,800. In fact, he was in charge of my travel arrangement. When I got to Brazil while on transit, he gave me the drugs and assured me that everything would be fine. I agreed to smuggle the drugs because of my education. I could not swallow everything, so he left with the remaining wraps.” 
Okeke, an importer of automobile parts, said he was under pressure because his traditional marriage had been fixed for December 28, 2012.
“Three months ago, a friend duped me of N6.5m. I gave him the money to buy goods for me and I did not see him again. Even his number has since been switched off. I tried my best to recover from the loss but to no avail and I was under pressure because of my traditional marriage. I was instructed to first go to Cameroon that was why I took that route. I hope and pray that my spouse will pardon me,” Okeke said.
The Chairman of the agency, Ahmadu Giade, saidthe agency had uncovered new tricks adopted by drug traffickers to evade arrest.
He said, “Drug traffickers are full of surprises but we are prepared to counter their plans. We are poised to nip their tricks in the bud.”
NDLEA’s Head, Public Affairs, Mitchell Ofoyeju, said the suspects would be charged to court soon.

No comments: