Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Fake IGP arrested in Lagos

EKONG


EKONG'S FAKE FACEBOOK DP
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a fish farmer, who used to pose as the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Abubakar to defraud unsuspecting victims in overseas and Nigeria.

Several incriminating documents were recovered from the suspect who identified himself as Victor Ekong and Phillip Aguirre.

Among the documents is one identifying as the IGP. There were also documents where he mentioned the names of the Minister of Finance and one Mrs. Asha Faruk. A central bank cheque, made out in the sum of 200,000 dollars was also found on him.

Police spokesperson, Ngozi Braide, said that the arrest of the suspect was made possible through policemen attached to ‘Area G Police Command,’ who were on ‘Stop and Search’ duty.

Braide said: “On the January 5, 2014, men of Area G Command were on ‘Stop and Search’ duty. He was flagged down. During search, police recovered some incriminating documents from him. The policemen first found some wraps of Indian hemp in his possession.  When they searched further, they found those documents. One of the documents showed that he used to pose as the Inspector General of Police.

“He forged documents to defraud foreigners. He had documents of Federal High Court Justice. Police discovered that he had collected thousands of dollars from his victims living overseas.

“He also used to defraud citizens of this country. He was arrested and when police went to his house, they also recovered other incriminating documents.

“In some of the documents, he talks about oil, contracts and money. We recovered central bank cheque from him. The cheque is 200,000 dollars. This was the cheque he presented to one of his victims. Judging from the letters police got from him; it showed that he had already collected 10,000 dollars from some victims.

“Claiming to be the IGP is one of the antics of fraudsters. They would claim to be and posed as important personalities in the country in order to convince their victims that they were genuine.”

The suspect who said he was from Cross Rivers State, added that he is 34-year-old and a fish farmer. Sounding his own defence, Victor Ekong initially denied all the allegations, but later owed up to his crime. “I had somebody I was communicating with through Facebook. The person is in the United States. In the course of our communication, he said he had a contract in Nigeria. He was the person that sent me all these documents. He wanted me to use the documents and carry out verification here in Nigeria for him. He promised to give me N200, 000 if I assisted him with the verification.

“I didn’t defraud anybody. There was no time I confessed to the police that I defrauded anybody. These documents were printed from my email. These documents were all generated during my interaction with the man via email. The man’s name is David.  These are parts of the documents he sent to me to use for the verification.”

When the police produced the white man’s image he was using on Facebook to catch his victims, he finally carved in and said: “I have a Facebook account. I used this picture of a white man on my Facebook to get the man to start speaking with me. The name I have been using on Facebook to speak with him is Phillip Aguirre.

“The American passport that was recovered from me was gotten from goggle. I just decided to try my hands on this business. If you call me a fraudster, you wouldn’t be wrong.”

No comments: