Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Angry man pushes woman into boiling water


Musa (left) and Yakubu
A 30-year-old trader, Balaraba Musa, is currently writhing in pains after a sweeper pushed her into a pot of boiling water.
Musa’s left breast, chest and stomach were said to have been scalded in the incident that occurred at the Mile 12 area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspect, Abdullahi Yakubu, allegedly pushed the victim into the big pot of boiling water during an argument in front of the victim’s shop.
The nursing mother said she had an argument with Yakubu because he dumped refuse in front of her shop.
She said, “I sell tuwo around Jamblo market, Mile 12. On January 23, 2014, I was boiling a big pot of water when I realised that someone had dumped refuse in front of my shop. I approached Yakubu who dumped it in front of the shop and he said I should go and tell the elders of the market.
“He further rained insults on me and I told him to get out. He then threatened to slap me, so my friend pulled me away from where Yakubu was.
“As I reached my shop, Yakubu picked up a broom to beat me up. He said in Hausa language that I will eat my mother and I also insulted his mother. He then held my arms, pulled them backwards and pushed me into the pot of boiling water.”
PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspect immediately fled as Musa sustained burns.
It was learnt that the matter was reported at the Mile 12 Police Post and later at the Ketu Police Division after which the police began a manhunt for Yakubu.
It was learnt that two days later, Yakubu was apprehended after sneaking back into the market.
The victim, however, told our correspondent that she had not been able to work since the incident occurred as she has had to expose her breasts.
She said she found it difficult sleeping at night and could not afford proper health care.
She said, “I am still lactating and my breast has been disfigured. I can’t attend to customers because my breast could repel them. Also, I find it difficult to sleep because of the pain.
“An auxillary nurse has been attending to me, but I hope the burns can heal completely. I would be happy if anyone could render me financial assistance. I am not married.”
The suspect however pleaded for mercy, saying the act was not deliberate.
He urged market elders to ensure that he doesn’t go to jail.
“I know that I am poor, but I can try to give her money for treatment. Please, have mercy on me,” he pleaded.
PUNCH

No comments: