Monday, September 29, 2014

PDP/APC CLASH:Release our brothers’ bodies, families beg police


Release our brothers’ bodies, families beg police
Relatives of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) supporters killed during a clash with their All Progressives Congress (APC) counterparts at Isale-Eko, Lagos, have called on the Commissioner of Police, Kayode Aderanti, to release their bodies. The deceased were identified as Rilwan Saka (19), Nureni Obabiolorunosi (25) and Ogede Akeem.
The families of Saka and Obabiolorunosi told our correspondent yesterday that those killed were not political thugs as being insinuated. On September 21, the PDP and APC supporters engaged in a free for all after the visit of President Goodluck Jonathan. At the end, six persons lost their lives. Saka’s brother, Ibrahim Saka, appealed to the police commissioner to release the body for immediate burial.
He said: “We are Muslims. We are not interested in pursuing any court case, because we were told by the police that the party had taken the matter to court. “The late Rilwan was just a victim of circumstance. On the day of the incident, he was with me inside my room, eating rice. When I was going out, I told him not go out.

“When I came back, I was surprised that he was not inside the room. I called him immediately on his phone to know his whereabouts only to be told that one of his friends asked him to go with him to Isale-Eko. I was told on phone that he had been shot dead.” Ibrahim added that the late Rilwan was an easy going person.
“I was told that they shot him and his friends at spot where they were eating at the PDP rally at Isale-Eko that fateful day,” Ibrahim said. Junior Apatira, who said he was a very close friend of the late Rilwan, said he tried to stop the deceased shortly before he was killed. He said: “On that fateful day, I was in my mum’s shop at Apatira when I saw Rilwan walk past, I tried to stop him but he did not wait.
By then I did not know what was happening at Isale-Eko. A few minutes later, I saw his call. But when I picked it, to my surprise, I heard a different voice entirely. The person asked me if I was Sobo and I said yes. “The caller then asked me to go and pick the body of my friend because he had been shot dead.
That was how I dashed out to inform his elder brother.” Also, the late Obabiolorunosi’s sister, Mrs Kehinde Gbajabiamila, said the family had done everything possible to get the police to release his body but to no avail. She said: “My late brother was a staunch supporter of PDP. I see no reason why someone will kill his fellow human being. “We are three from our mother and he was the only boy
NEW TELEGRAPH

No comments: