Monday, September 29, 2014

Save my life, land from OPC, man tells Manko


Save my life, land from OPC, man tells Manko
land owner in Lagos, Donald Agu, has appealed to the Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), in charge of Zone II, Mr Umar Manko, to save his life from people suspected to be Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) members.
Agu said the suspected OPC members had taken from him a piece of land at Era village, Otto-Awori Local Government Area. The man said he had heard dreadful things about members of OPC and did not want to engage them in anyway.
Agu said that the OPC men were led by two of their chieftains simply identified as Lanre and Omiale. He said: “I want to get back my land, but I know they would kill me if I try to confront them. These people are members of OPC. I heard they can kill anybody because of land. I decided to go to the police to intervene in the matter. “If they want the land so much, they should refund me my N4.1 million, which represents the expenses I had spent on the land.”

According to Agu, he has also petitioned Manko, “in case of anything”. In the petition, Agu alleged that Chief Augustine Okafor, Alhaji Jubril and Mr. Lukmon Quduni and two others were threatening his life. He said that the men collaborated and sold his land to another ‘buyer’. According to him, the building materials he kept on the land have disappeared, while the OPC members have allegedly started building. He said: “All the building materials I bought for the construction of my building are valued at N2.5 million.
The cement, blocks, iron rods, woods, including N600,000 which I gave to Mr Lukman for the execution of the project and collection of documents from the local government are all gone. All efforts to recover my land and materials have been abortive.” Agu, a businessman, said that sometimes in 2010 he bought the plot of land from Okafor and when he was about to start building, the OPC group stormed the site.
Before then, he had already given Lukman N600,000 to perfect ‘omo onile’ receipt. He had also paid youths to clear the land. “Okafor said he sold the land to only me,” he added. Agu presented a letter and receipt. The receipt states that Agu paid N800,000 for the land. The receipt was issued on May 10, 2010. The letter states that: “I Chief Augustine Okafor of H37 Alaba International Market 080 Lagos, collected the sum of N800,000 from Mr. Donald Agu of 88 Olojo Drive, Ojo, Lagos for a plot of land at Era village, Awori… “The family receipt will be given to him by the family through Alhaji Jubrill…” Stating his own side of the story, Lukman said he did not know anything about the land.
He said: “I sell building materials. He paid for some building materials and I’m now trying to refund his money since the materials are no longer needed. He knew that the land had issues. More than three people paid for that plot of land.” Okafor on the other hand, said he sold the land to only Agu and was surprised by the unfolding drama.
He said: “The truth was that I handed that land to Alhaji Jubril, he showed Donald (Agu) the land and Donald paid. Later, I didn’t know what happened; Donald said that someone else had taken over the land. It’s only Alhaji who can tell us what transpired. The land belonged to my boss, who handed it over to me to sell for him. Donald had dealings with me, but I handed him over to Alhaji, who apportioned the plot to him. I have asked Alhaji and he said he did not know anything about another person taking over the land.
“I told Donald to go back to the land and confront the person and know who he is and how he got into the land. As far as I’m concerned, that land belongs to Donald.”

No comments: