Thursday, May 21, 2015

‘Gunmen killed my parents’ only son’

A grieving woman has revealed how unknown gunmen gun down her parents’ only son in the street just as he stepped out from their home to buy sachet of cold water.

The deceased, Adebowale Oturu 28, a tricycle rider, was shot and killed on Friday just as he was returning from where he went to buy cold water at the Jibowu area of Lagos State.
Mrs. Omowunmi Oturu, elder sister of the deceased, said: “When he returned from work that day, he asked me what I had prepared. I said eba and vegetable soup. He said he didn’t feel like taking swallow. He asked for Indomie. He stepped outside to buy cold water and a few minutes later, I started hearing gunshots. My siblings and I became apprehensive. We decided to send a message to his phone, to alert him about the danger.
“As he was about to open the gate to our compound, the assailants shot him on the head and chest. The shooters fled the scene, leaving him in a pool of blood.”
The lady said that although youths in the area quickly tried to rush him to hospital, he however died on the way.
She further recounted: “When the gunshots continued unabated, some residents made a phone call to the divisional police officer of Alakara Police Station. I have lost my best friend because he is the only male child of our parents I urged the Lagos State Commissioner of Police Kayode Aderanti to bring the killers of my brother to justices.”
The incident occurred at Lawani Street and many residents scampered for safety as gunshots tore through the area.
A resident, identified as Alaba noted that the death of Oturu came as a shock to everyone. He added: “We’re not safe at Lawani Street! We urge the Commissioner of Police to deploy patrol vehicles to our street. It will help in checking the excesses of these hoodlums.”
Mr. Chima Echeka who also sustained gunshot wound, said he too would have been killed but for God’s intervention.
His words: “I stopped at a beer parlour to take two bottles when I was shot. As I was about entering the guest house, one of the assailants accosted me. He ordered me to stop. I asked him why he was restricting my movement. Before I knew what was happening, he had shot me on my leg.
“I managed to escape from the scene. I ran into an uncompleted building. When the gunshots stopped, I came out and went to the hospital.”

No comments: