Friday, May 29, 2015

We monitor, trail victims from banking halls, says robbery suspect

Okeke and Kolawole
A robbery suspect who has just being arrested for bank robbery is presently singing like a bird while in the custody of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State. He revealed how he and his gang members used to monitor customers in banking halls, trail and robbed them of their money.


The suspect, Chinedu Okeke 32, who is also being charged for attempted murder, confessed to have shot a victim while attempting to snatch his money from him.
He said: “I had to shoot him because he refused to obey order and drop the money he had just withdrawn from the bank.”

A police source said: “Okeke belonged to a three man gang of robbers. They specialize in going into banking halls to monitor customers withdrawing huge sums of money. They would later attack such customers while they were heading to their destinations from the bank. The gang also used to embark on house to house robbery.”

Okeke and his partner, Kolawole were arrested on April 24, 2015 around 11am. They were said to have been grabbed by policemen moments after they had carried out a robbery operation. They robbed a man who just left the banking hall of a new generational bank at Festac, 21 Road, with N500, 000.00.

According to the police, the gang leader, Ben was right inside the banking hall, monitoring customers coming in to make withdrawals when he noticed the victim going out of the bank with the money.

Ben quickly alerted other members waiting outside the bank. He described the victim to them.

As the man was driving towards Orile Police Station direction, Okeke double crossed him with the gang’s operational car.

Okeke jumped out from their car and pointed a gun at the victim. He ordered him to handover the money to him. The man however stubbornly refused.

Infuriated, Okeke shot, snatched the money and drove away with his Kolawole in the man’s car, while Ben and others followed in their car.
The money was shared; Ben took N200, 000.00, Okeke Kolawole shared N300, 000.00.

The incident was reported to the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Kayode Aderanti, who ordered SARS men to investigate.
A trap was set for the gang by SARS men, in an operation led by Officer in charge of SARS, Abba Kyari.

Okeke was the first person to be caught in the trap. He was said to have resisted arrested and exchange blows with the operatives.

He was later overpowered and an AK 47 rifle and ammunitions recovered from him.  He was used as bait to catch Kolawole. Ben escaped by scaling the fenced wall of their hideout.

Okeke said: “The AK47 rifle and the six loaded magazines belong to Ben. I was a furniture maker before I met Ben. He introduced me into robbery. Hunger and bad economy led me into robbery. I used to eat only once a day. Sometimes, I won’t have food to eat for a whole day. I started smuggling to reduce my suffering. My trouble started after I met Ben in a beer palour. I was pushed to shoot that man. That was my first time of shooting anybody. I only wanted to scare him.”

Confessing that his gang used to snatch cars, Okeke said: “Once we see cars that interest us, we use our cars to double cross and snatch it from the owner. We’ll order the person to come out.”

Kolawole, said he got admission to study law in Lagos State University in 2014, but dropped his dream after his mum, whom he had hoped to sponsor him, suddenly died. Trying to survive, Kolawole said that he dived into different jobs.

“I was trying to raise money to go back to school,” said Kolawole. “My trouble started after I met Ben and other gang members at Iyana Sashi at Isashi along Badadry Express way Lagos. They said they wanted to introduce me to a business as an agent that would be supply cars.
I was arrested in my house at Badagry Express. If I’m pardoned, I promise not to return to crime.”

No comments: