Thursday, September 14, 2017

‘I didn’t plan to snatch magistrate’s car, baby’


A 29-year-old man, Oladapo Olawoye, who allegedly hijacked a magistrate’s car with her baby on board in Ilorin, Kwara State, yesterday said it was not his intention to commit crime.
Olawoye said he had not eaten for four days and only wanted to snatch Mrs. Omotoyosi Adewoye’s handbag, with the hope of finding money to buy food.
“Starvation drove me into crime,” the suspect told journalists.
Olawoye, a Higher Diploma holder of Building Technology from the Kwara State Polytechnic, begged Adewoye, a magistrate in the state judiciary, to forgive him.
The suspect, who claimed to be a member of Living Faith Church, Offa Garage branch, recalled how he flagged down the magistrate’s car around Gaa-Akanbi area of Ilorin metropolis.
He said: “I decided to rob her out of desperation. I had not eaten for four days. My intention was to snatch the bag and find money; but when I pulled out the knife, the woman rushed out of the car. She started screaming. I drove off with the car and soon noticed the baby at the backseat. This discovery put me in greater confusion. I didn’t know what to do. There were policemen on the road at almost about every three kilometres. I decided to drop the baby behind someone’s house at Akerebiata.
“I then drove the car to Asa Dam Road, and when I had emptied the purse which was my original intention, I wanted to go and drop the car somewhere, a place where police could find it the following day. But as I looked out through the window of my house, I discovered that operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) had surrounded the house. I was arrested.”
According to Olawoye, this was his first attempt at crime.
He added:  “I know the law will take its course, but the only thing I want now is for the magistrate to forgive me.”
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Ajayi Okasanmi, said Olawoye would soon be arraigned for armed robbery.

No comments: