Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Save us from greedy policemen, cry motorbike riders

Commercial motorbike riders, plying Zone one and Zone two Unity Estates, Egbeda/Idimu areas, are calling on the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Umar Manko, to save them from overzealous and greedy policemen who exploit and extort them.
According to them, the two Unity Estates, which are along Car Wash and Abule-Odu bus stops, are not part of the restricted areas mentioned by the Lagos State government.
They explained that they are operating in both estates under the authority of the landlord associations.  They further revealed that it was even the landlord associations who provided uniforms for them.
Yet policemen allegedly used to storm the estates at will, impound their motorbikes and collect N5000 from any of their member arrested.
One of the commercial bike riders said the harassments from the policemen were now worrisome.
It was alleged that the policemen used to come from ‘Area M police command’, Egbeda/Idimu, Alausa secretariat, Ikeja, among other areas.
Apparently, whenever the police are financially broke, they make a beeline for the estates, searching for prey to arrest and extort money from.
One of the commercial bike riders, Mr. Samuel Adefawope said: “If this continues, it means that anytime they’re broke, they’ll come to these areas and pounce on us!  We’re not on any major roads. We’re managing here in the streets. They should leave us alone! We have children in schools. Before a commercial bike rider makes close to N5000 a day, it’s usually hell. Yet, a policeman will come from nowhere and collect that money without sweating for it.”
Ashake Bola, one of the commercial riders, who had been extorted by some policemen, angrily said: “I was at Gani Animashaun Street, when these policemen arrested me. I saw them, but I was not worried because I was in the streets. I was not doing anything wrong and I had committed no crime. I even thought they were just driving past. I didn’t know they were coming to arrest and impound my motorbike.
“I tried to point out to them that I had committed no crime, but they wouldn’t listen. They ordered me to enter their van and carried my motorbike into the van. They were four of them. One Inspector, a sergeant and two corporals.
“They asked me how much I had on me, I said N1000. They told me that if they had arrested me along the highway, or restricted areas, I would have paid N10, 000 but that since it’s in the streets, I should pay N5000.
“But I didn’t even have N5000 on me. They towed the motorbike and dropped me off. They said I should come and meet them at Akowonjo round about traffic light when I get the money. They said if I don’t come on time, they would head towards the highway and from there; they would take my motorbike to Alausa, which was their station. I quickly ran to other motorbike riders. They raised the money for me. I pursued them and met them at Bakery bus stop. I tried to hand the money over to them, but they snapped at me to hold on. They were angry that I was giving them the money where everyone could see them.
“They said I should enter the van. I did. They drove into a street and said I should keep my hands below the windscreen, from eyes of people passing and hand over the money. It was the sergeant who collected and counted the money and told the Inspector that it was N5000. I know most of them policemen from Area M, who used to harass us, but those were not from Area M.”








0kota
Mr. Emmanuel Okota, another victim, insisted that those who arrested him and four other of his colleagues, were from Area M Police Command.
According to Okota, the policemen came into the Unity Estate and impounded five motorbikes. They took N5000 from each of the riders.
His words: “We were at our junction, when we saw policemen on Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC). It was actually a police pick up van that first drove past. The APC was behind. The van has Shasha Police Division on it. Three policemen came down from the APC. They started carrying our motorbikes for no reason whatsoever!
“They took five bikes that day! When we got to Area M Command, they claimed that landlord association gave them information to come and take our motorbikes, that robbers were everywhere. But we know it’s a lie! We’ve been there for over 10 years now. It’s the landlord associations that provided uniforms for us. The policemen took N5000 from each of us that day before they returned our bikes to us.”

No comments: