Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Killing police is my pastime – Suspected robber

Killing police is my pastime – Suspected robberNothing under the sun can intimidate Abiodun Ogunjobi. He is bold, daring and driven by certain insatiable hunger to inflict sorrow in his fellow Nigerians.
At the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) at the Lagos State Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja, where he is currently detained, he maintains his hard posture, saying he has no regret having policemen among his several casualties.
”Why won’t I kill them? Killing them is a fun to me because they have also killed many of my boys. After killing them I would carry their guns and go my way,” he said.
Saturday Newswatch gathered that Ogunjobi’s initiation into the underworld dates back to 1996. He started as a street boy and moved up the ladder, becoming a notorious armed robber.
Three years after, he made it to the prison in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital,during which he perfected his plan to go after the police. As soon as he completed his term and regained his freedom, he found a soul mate in one Odun with whom he began another journey.
“I met Odun at Katangua and we discussed. I told him that I wanted to revenge by killing policemen for sending me to prison because of a street fight. I did not rob then. Since we formed the new gang, I have always been lucky,” he said.  Ogunjobi is truly lucky going by the large asset he has acquired over the years. He was said to have properties in Oyo, Lagos and Ogun States. This status has worked for him, shielding him from suspicion.
It took men of SARS under CSP Aba Kyari three weeks to fish him out in one of his properties located at Egbeda in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital. According to the Commissioner of Police, Umar Manko, the arrest of the suspect is a major breakthrough recorded in the recent time because of the security threat his gang has lately constituted.
He was said to have led his gang to a popular hotel in Ajah in June. In the operation, the proprietor of the hotel was killed while a policeman also suffered the same fate. Same day, the gang also stormed another hotel at Ebutte-Matta also shedding blood at the scene.
Also in July the gang’s point of call was a warehouse at Ajao Estate, Lagos, where many mobile phones were stolen. A policeman and private security guard were killed during the robbery.  Ogunjobi, however, said he was not the architect of the Ajao Estate robbery. He claimed he could have rejected the invitation to participate in the robbery because it was not his kind of operation.  “I was told there was good money to make in that operation but I found out it was handset thing. I never knew those boys until I got to the place. I have nothing to fear again but I must say that I was not involved in all the operations the boys are claiming I led them to. But when it gets to this type of situation, this is the kind of embarrassment one would face,” he said.



















No comments: