Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Abducted girl: Police begin manhunt for assailant


Abducted girl: Police begin manhunt for assailant
Police said they were working round the clock to arrest the fleeing mobile policemen, who kidnapped an eightyear- old girl from her parents’ apartment where she was sleeping and took her into his room.
The Lagos State Police Public relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, disclosed this yesterday in a telephone interview with our correspondent.
The policeman, alleged to be a member of MOPOL 22 Squadron, identified as Gbuchenge Augustine, used an instrument to hit the little girl, Amarachi Abakwan, on the head, attempted to break her neck and then sealed her mouth and tied legs and hands before hiding her under his bed at No. 1, Olufowobi Street, Ikosi Ketu.

“We will get him. His pictures are already in all the papers, whether he is a policeman or not is immaterial,” Braide said.
She added: “Like I said earlier, we have gone to check for him at MOPOL 22 Squadron, but nobody knows him. We have also checked other mobile police squadrons and still nobody knows him.
We have sent signals to every police post and division within the command. We are not resting on our oars. If he is in this command, we will get him. If he is not in Lagos Command, we would check other commands.”
Also yesterday, the landlord of the house, Mr Tokunbo Adewale, told our correspondent that he was surprised by the incident.
Although Adewale said he had always been suspicious of the policeman now on the run. He said: “I was surprised when my little child came to wake me up that Mama Amarachi and the mobile policeman were fighting over the missing girl, because such incident had never happened in my house since I built the house about 27 years ago.
“Before I rushed down the mobile policeman had ran away. That was what surprised me most, because a policeman who is supposed to protect lives and property was the one who committed such a crime.” Adewale said the policeman came to his house with an agent, saying he wanted to rent the apartment for his pregnant wife.
He said: “The policeman said where he was squatting with a friend in Alapere would not be conducive for him and the wife.
I gave the house to him because of the pregnant woman. “After a while I did not see the pregnant woman in the compound. That was when I became suspicious of the man.
But I can’t challenge him about the woman and his movement.” Another resident of the house, Mr Ifeanyi Okorie, described Amarachi as an amiable girl. He said: Amarachi is such a nice girl. She is the one who washes my car for me.
She once told me she wanted to be a medical doctor so that she could take care of the needy. “Since that day, even if she did not wash my car I would give her money.
The little girl is very intelligent and smart.” The young girl, who said she saw Augustine while carrying Amarachi into his apartment, according to an elderly woman, has been taken out of the house for safety.
The residents claimed Augustine had three commercial buses. They added that the man, who had a Mazda car, bought Toyota Siena car at Easter about a week before the incident. But according to them, none of the vehicles was around on the day of the incident and none has been brought home since them. The state Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, confirmed the story.
She said: “I heard of that wicked act and we have started investigation. I have contacted the commander in charge of MOPOL 22, which is where the complainant alleged the suspect to be working. “The commander said there was no such name or identity in his squadron.

No comments: