Monday, April 7, 2014

‘I was told the robbery would be as easy as eating pie’

An ex-convict, Olabamidele Sanusi has been arrested by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State, on his way to a robbery operation with other members of his gang.
Sanusi, who still has a dazed look on his face, said that he was shocked out of his wit after it dawned on him that he had reached the end of the road in his criminal activities.
According to him, he only accepted to join in the robbery operation after a gang member told him that the robbery was going to be the easiest ever.
Almost on the verge of breaking down in tears, Sanusi said: “Yes, I was among a gang of robbers going for operation when I was arrested. God! I didn’t know it would turn out like this!
“I was told that the robbery would be as easy as eating a pie. The man who brought the job would be part of the operation. I thought it would be easy, I didn’t know police would catch us.
“I brought a gun for the operation. I used to be a devoted student in an Islamic school, we were taught to desist from evil. Look at me now. But I have prayed and I’m still praying to God to deliver me from this problem for the last time. I swear I won’t go into crime again! If God gives me another chance, I may go back to selling sachet water or devout myself to working for God. But the truth of the matter is that my family members pushed me into crime. Nobody lifted a finger to assist me when I needed help.”
If Sanusi is charged to court and is found guilty, it would be his second time of being a guest in prison.
He said that the first time he went to prison was in 2012. He insisted that though he was nabbed this time for robbery, but in 2012, his offence was not robbery.
“It was actually a fight over land matter that took me to prison in 2012. The land in question is at Mowe Ibafo,” said Sanusi. “Our opponent is a gang led by a dreaded guy called Omi Ata, now living at Ketu. We were working then for an estate agent, called Dr. Enitan.  One day, I and other members of the gang were in the land. Suddenly Enitan and told us to leave, that court had given judgment in favour of our opponent.
“Immediately he told us, others took off. I decided to leave through the back way. I didn’t know that our opponent boys were hanging around that axis. As soon as they saw me, they pounced and gave me the beaten of my life. They dragged me to Ketu Police Station and from Ketu Police Station; I was dumped in Kirikiri prisons.”
The suspect said that he had not killed anybody was a thug for land speculators, but he had injured a good number of people.
Displaying different scars on his face, body and hands, Sanusi they were trademarks of his profession. 
He added: “It’s not as if we used to shoot and machete people to death during fight over land. The truth is that, when the fighting is on, people with guns will start shooting into the air to scare and intimidate the other opponent. It was in land fight that I received these machetes cuts on my body.”
Sanusi who blamed his family members for his life of crime, further revealed that he slide into crime after he trained as a boxer, but could not get any sponsor to make his dream of becoming a boxer a reality. He had also gone to learn a trade, but there was also no money to mark his graduation.
Determined to make something of his life, Sanusi who is the first child in the family, with a father who is deceased and a mother who sells vegetable, decided to start selling sachet water.
He was already into the business when a friend saw and told him that he was too ‘big to be selling sachet water.’ The promised to introduce him to a better business, which would fetch more money than sachet water business.
 Sanusi said: “I was formerly staying at Bariga area, living with an aunt of mine. I used to attend Islamic school. My aunt had a boy-friend who used to train people to become boxers. He also trained me.
“At a point I started boxing and representing Lagos State. I started boxing for bantam weight. When it was time for my freedom, there was no money. I moved down to Mowe Ibafo to seek labourer work. After that, I took to selling sachet water.

No comments: