Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I returned to robbery after leaving prison –Suspect

I returned to robbery after leaving prison –SuspectA robbery suspect, Gbenga Saka, seems not to have learnt any lesson from his previous encounter with the law. Barely three years after walking out of the Kirikiri Prisons, Saka is probably on his way back.
The suspect, now in the custody of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State, said he was arrested for attempting to rob a building at Alagbado area of the state. Saka and members of his gang were arrested by SARS team led by Inspector Toyin Omosebi, which also recovered three guns from them.
The suspect, who said he was not praying to return to prison, blamed his friend, Joseph, for initiating him into robbery. Recalling his sojourn in prison, Saka explained that he became a guest at Kirikiri Prisons after police arrested and recovered a stolen Honda City car from him in the Ikorodu area of the metropolis in 2011.

He said he was a commercial bus driver before becoming motorcycle rider. According to him, he raised money from driving commercial bus to buy the motorcycle. Saka added that he and two other drivers used to take turn to drive the bus.
Whenever it was not his turn, he would make do with the commercial motorcycle. Saka said he was comfortable and satisfied, making enough money to keep body and soul together, until Joseph, like the biblical serpent, lured him to robbery. He said: “There was this particular day in June.
The day was a public holiday. I was very sure that there would be many passengers on the road, but unfortunately, it was not my turn to drive the bus that day. However, I knew that if I could get another bus to drive, I would make good money.
“I thought hard and remembered that Joseph, my friend, had a commercial bus. I called and asked him if his bus was available, so that I can drive it. It was night by then. He said I should “I rushed down to meet him where he said I should come. I was surprised to see him with three other men.
I later discovered that they were planning a robbery operation.” Saka said that Joseph took time to explain to him that the gang was going to rob a house and needed him with them if he wanted. Joseph, according to him, promised him part of the loot by, but the other three were worried over the sharing formula.
He said: “Joseph told me that the targeted house was just behind where he lives. He convinced me I would make more money from the robbery than from driving a commercial bus for that day. “When we got to the place, Joseph and I stayed outside, while those with guns entered the house. We went with three guns that day.
The time was about 2am. “But before that, one of our members had to climb the fence of the building, gained access into the compound and opened the gate for us. There was no security guard in the house. “Joseph and I stayed outside for two reasons. We didn’t have guns and Joseph didn’t want to be recognised by the owner of the house because it was his neighbourhood.
“Those that went in came out with items like phones, laptops, money and other things. They took two cars, including a Honda City. Joseph was the only person I knew in the gang. Others didn’t have time for me.
They grudgingly gave me N5,000 from the operation that day.” A few days after the successful robbery operation, the gang met and in the presence of Saka, they called a buyer living at Ikorodu and told him that they had a Honda City car for sale.
He said: “They asked me to go and deliver the car to the buyer at Ikorodu. As I prepared to go and deliver the car, I decided to take a friend along with me. I was on my way to the place when police stopped me.
“I was in police custody when Joseph called. One of the police pretended to be the buyer, asking Joseph to come and collect the money himself. When Joseph came to the venue, he was arrested. That was how we found our way to Kirikiri prisons.” Saka may be heading back to prison if found guilty by the court for robbery.

No comments: