Monday, July 3, 2017

Evans’ victim demands police re-arrest pharmacist for his abduction



The owner of Maydon Pharmaceutical Company, Chief Donatus Dunu, is one of the victims of the Nigerian suspected billionaire kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike aka Evans.

Dunu, incidentally, was instrumental in the arrest of Evans. He was fortunate to escape from where he was being held at Evans’ detention camp at Igando, Lagos.
After his escape, Dunu told police that one of his staff, Emeka Egbulugha, engineered his abduction. Egbulugha was arrested and charged to court.
He was, however, released by the court, after Evans and gang during an identification parade, said they didn’t know Egbulugha. Before his release, Egbulugha had repeatedly denied knowing anything about his boss abduction.
Speaking with journalists yesterday, Dunu, kicked against the release of Egbulugha, insisting that his life was now in danger.
He said it was not right for the court to grant Egbulugha and others he fingered in his abduction bail.
He said: “I don’t think the police carried out thorough investigation after the so-called identification parade which was simply a charade.  Even if court had course to grant him bail, the police know how to go about such cases by re-arresting him until they carry out diligent investigation. I am, therefore, calling on police authorities to do the needful by re-arresting Emeka and investigating him thoroughly.
“Nobody should have allowed those suspected workers in my company to be granted bail under any guise because I have evidence of the active participation, especially Emeka, my pharmacist. Releasing him has worsened my plight. I and members of my family now live in perpetual fear for our lives.”
Dunu, who said he had known Egbulugha since 2003, insisted that not only did he hear the man’s voice, he also saw him at the den a few days after his abduction.
Dunu said: “He asked the kidnappers where I was kept. They showed him; he opened the door where they kept me in chains and our eyes met.  Though I was blindfolded, I was about eating when I heard his voice and I normally remove the blind.  That was how I saw him and I had the greatest shock of my life. The man in charge of the den, Uche, whom he claimed not to know, speaks the same dialect with him.  He is the person Emeka used to meet anytime he visited. There was also another member of the gang who speaks Abakiliki dialect; I don’t know whether those in police net have confessed his whereabouts to the police.”
According to him, he suspected that the keeper of the den and Egbulugha are from the same village because of their dialect.
He recounted: “Those guarding me were initially two, but when the Abakiliki man travelled on Easter Monday, someone came to replace him. The new guy was always coughing.  I knew that the Abakiliki man travelled because I heard Emeka discussing with Uche, asking whether he had travelled and Uche said, yes.”
Dunu said that he also overheard Egbulugha and Uche discussing about killing, but decided to wait, “until Chairman comes back.”
Two weeks after the discussion, Evans, the chairman came.
“I knew chairman was around because all the doors were shut. The generator was switched on,” said Dunu. “His visit did not last for more than 10 minutes. That was the first and only time he came to the den. That night, the Abakiliki man brought noodles for dinner.  He told me to eat, so that I would have energy to face ‘us at the canal.’ They said canal was where they use to ‘bath’ their captives. I concluded that it means where they kill their victims.”
He said that he was made to realize that it was the Abakiliki man that would kill him when the order comes.
He said: “Earlier, I thought that the killing they were discussing was another person. But after this canal discussion, I knew I was the target.  After that, I overheard Emeka again, about two weeks later, discussing with Uche saying that; “If they want to kill him, they should kill him.  In fact, kill him.” Then, their last discussion was on Wednesday before my escape on Friday.  I heard Emeka again asking whether they have killed me. They said no, it was going to be Friday night.  That was when I concluded that it was all over.”
He said that the only issue he had with Egbulugha was his suspicion that the man and other staff were stealing goods from his warehouse.
He noted: “I made changes which I suspect did not favour him.  I strongly suspected that was his motive for conniving with those kidnappers.  In fact, before my abduction, we had a meeting with a foreign partner. I remember vividly that during one of my telephone conversations with their chairman, whom I suspected was Evans, he asked me who the two ladies in my office were; Emeka came to the office that same day and those ladies were with me.  Who told the chairman that I was with two ladies in my office? These are the unanswered questions and police should have asked these questions.”

No comments: