Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Anger as developer dupes 74 tenants in Lagos


Seventy four tenants at Ijeshetedo area of Lagos State have accused a 45-year-old developer, Mr. Najeemdeen of defrauding them.
The suspect allegedly defrauded the victims under the pretence that a building located at Bankole Street, Ijeshatedo, was undergoing renovation and would soon be ready for occupants.
Najeemdeen used to tell prospective tenants that the building, which was already completed, was still undergoing renovation.
He was always able to persuade victims to make a down payment, so that after the minor repairs, the victim could move in. Many of the victims, who bought his lies, paid. 
 The most surprising aspect of the scam was that Najeemdeen told each prospective apartment seeker to come for their keys on September 29, 2017.
One of the victims, Samuel Chonkea said: “I didn’t know the developer would defraud us. I had always seen him as a religious person. I paid him after inspecting the building. I noticed that the remaining repairs were minor. He asked me to come back on September 28, for the collection of my keys. But I couldn’t make it there that fateful day. A friend of mine, who lives on the street, called and told me that somebody had moved into my apartment. I rushed down there; I was surprised. I was about leaving when the person stepped out of the apartment.  I told him I was the owner of the apartment and soon we engaged each other in a fight. I later ran to Itire Police Station to report the incident.”
Chonkea said that he later found out that many people were also defrauded by the developer.
Mr. Isiaka Oluwatoyin, another victim, said that he paid N340, 000 for a mini flat in June, but was shocked when he discovered that several other people paid for the same apartment.
Oluwatoyin said: “It was also a friend of mine who introduced the developer to me. After I paid him, he said I could move in by July. When my wife and I went there towards month end in July, he told us to come back on September 28, claiming that the renovation was still on.
“It was someone who called me that there was a crowd at the front of the building protesting that they had been duped by the developer of the house. When I got to the scene, I was scared; so many people were protesting. I went straight to Itire Police Station, not knowing that other people had been coming to make statements in respect of the same case.”
It was learnt that the developer and his friends had swindled people at Agege, Amukoko, Ikorodu, Ikeja and now Ijeshatedo area, using that same building.
Mr. Uche Solomon said that he was also affected in the scam. He recounted that he paid N450, 000 for two-bedroom flat in September 14, through mobile banking.
His words: “It was a colleague in the office that introduced me to the developer. After inspecting the building and the apartment, I was satisfied and wanted to transfer money to him that same day; but he asked me to move into my apartment on September 29. To my surprise, I received a phone call that some people were protesting a day before I was supposed to move in.
“When I got to the scene, I witnessed the developer handing keys to some touts, to give to his preferred candidates. We all moved to Itire Police Station to lodge a complaint. But to our surprise, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) said the case had been transferred to the Special Fraud Unit office (SFU).”

No comments: