Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Woman accuses sergeant, ‎ NSCD officer of rape at gunpoint


A divorcee, Safiya Gagarawa, has accused a police sergeant Jamilu Mohammed and a NSCD officer, Habu Musa, of raping her at gunpoint, at Maigatari town, Jigawa State.
According to the woman, the two law enforcement officers, raped her at gunpoint after she refused to give a bribe of N10, 000, which they had earlier demanded.
The two officers had since been arrested and are presently being interrogated. She further alleged that the incident happened moments after she returned from a trip to Niger Republic on Sunday.
She said: “I called a motorcycle rider to take me home; I was on the motorbike when I suddenly started feeling dizzy, which was why I asked him to drop me so that I could have a moment of rest before we continued our journey to our destination.
"It was at that point, while I was resting by the motorcycle, that the two officers came along. They threatened to arrest us for wrongfully engaging in immoral act. They said we should bribe them with N10, 000 to forget the matter. I told them I didn’t have such an amount. They released the rider, but insisted that I should cough up the money or else they would expose me; that I was a married woman with questionable character.”
According to Gagarawa, the officers withdrew from their earlier demand of bribe and false accusation, after she got home and produced her divorced certificate.  She claimed that it was at that point they started demanding sex from her.

She recounted: "The police officer, who all along pointed a gun at me, asked the other officer to drag me‎ into an uncompleted building. There they took turns in raping me.”
The Jigawa State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Abdu Jinjiri, who confirmed the incident, said the victim lodge a complaint at the Maigatari Police Station, insisting that the NSDC officer and police sergeant raped her.  Jinjiri said that the two officers had been arrested.
Jinjiri said:  "Investigation is in progress. A team of officers had visited the area. The police will treat the case in accordance with the Police Law and Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

No comments: