Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Suspect: I joined crime because of my stolen N2m


A 41-year-old planks seller, Mr. Benjamin Ademola, has told detectives attached to the Lagos State Police Command the reason he embraced crime.
Ademola said that the business of selling stolen phones has made him popular at the planks market at Okobaba, Yaba Lagos. He disclosed that he used to patronise mobile phone sellers and resell the phones at giveaway prices.
He said: “My travail started about a year ago, after I gave N2 million to two of my Ijaw customers, Austin and Mathew. The two of them used to supply me timbers. They disappeared with my money and till date, I have not set eyes on them. Last year, a phone repairer, Idris, came to me with handsets; I bought them from him and sold them at the Computer Village, Ikeja.  I made good profit. That was how I started buying handsets from him. I knew he was dealing on stolen handsets, but I just thought I had to survive the situation. My plan was to go back to my timber business after making enough money from the phone business.
“I knew that the phones I bought from Idris are stolen ones, but I had no option. I regret the whole thing because even my wife is not aware that I buy stolen phones side by side my timber business; it is shameful for me. I promise to leave Lagos State completely if I’m pardoned.”
Idris Balogun, 26, the man who steals the phones, blames his involvement in phone theft on a fire incident that gutted his resident and destroyed all his belongings last year.
He said: “All this started last year after fire gutted the house I lived in and destroyed all that I had. I started visiting clubs, especially Badilos Club at Sabo, Yaba to steal patrons’ handsets and sell to Benjamin. I knew what I was doing was bad, but I couldn’t help the situation.”

No comments: