Thursday, February 1, 2018

How SARS men shot my leg, collected N1m for bail -Victim

There appears to be no end to impunity and human rights violations among operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Nigeria.
These human rights violations continue, in spite of the outcry and outraged that rocked the nation barely two months
ago as Nigerians called for the scrapping of SARS Unit.
Last week Friday, the New Telegraph reported how SARS operatives harassed and extorted money from residents of Ojodu-Abiodu community, Ogun State.
According to the residents, this had been going on long until the fateful shooting of a youngster at a football field. Irked by the shooting, youths marched to the Ojodu-Abiodu Police Station, vandalizing windows of the building and parked vehicles. Policemen at the station, alarmed by the crowd, ran away, abandoning their duty posts.
Some of the youths, who spoke with our correspondent, disclosed that SARS men from the station used to carry out arbitrary arrest, and then march them to nearest Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) gallery, in order to check their account balances before demanding money for bail money.
While Nigerians are still stewing over SARS illegal activities and subsequent shooting of a youth at Ojodu-Abiodu, SARS operatives, attached to the Lagos State Police Command have carried another shooting.
While the Ojodu-Abiodu shooting was accidental, the shooting carried out by Lagos State Command SARS was deliberate and calculative.
The latest victim to the growing list of human rights violations by SARS operatives is a driver, identified as Mr. Azeez Kareem.
He and his boss, Chairman of National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Oko-Afo branch, Mr. Samson Adeleye, were blocked by the SARS men and taken to Lagos State Police Headquarters.
They were granted bail only after paying N1million. Kareem, who went to the station with his two legs, would later be carried out; he had been shot on his leg.
His boss, Adeleye said that the incident happened while they were returning from Abule-Egba area of the metropolis. He said that the policemen used their car to block theirs at Pen-Cinema, brandishing guns. Adeleye and Kareem were whisked away to the police headquarters without the SARS men telling them their offence.
Adeleye said: “We were returning from our office at Abule-Egba, where we had a meeting with the state chairman of NURTW, Alhaji Tajudeen Agbede. The policemen suddenly appeared from nowhere and used their vehicle to block our vehicle; they ordered us out of the car. The incident occurred on January 17, 2018. Before we knew what was happening, we were already at police headquarters. We were ordered to sit on the floor. They threatened to kill us, if we didn’t cooperate with them.”
Adeleye disclosed that while he and his driver were at the SARS office, the operatives also threatened to ruin his career by inviting some journalists to write stories about him for, “an offence I still don’t understand or know anything about.”
Adeleye recounted: “Each time I asked the policemen my offence, they would slap me. It was when one of the policemen who knew me enquired from the team what my offence was for arresting me, that one of them said that my predecessor asked them to arrest me; that I overthrew him with guns.”
“After a while, the policemen came to where Kareem and I were sitting. They took him to a place called ‘Theatre Room.’ When they eventually brought him out, he had been shot on his leg,” said Adeleye.
He continued his narration: “Kareem was bleeding seriously. The policemen refused to attend to him. One of them later came to me; he said I should bring out the gun I used to chase out the former chairman of the branch from office. I told him we don’t used gun in NURTW. I told them that I didn’t own a gun, but they refused to believe me. They kept slapping and threatening to disgrace me out of office. They said that I didn’t allow their ‘person’ to enjoy his stay in office. It was when some of the policemen who knew me persuaded them to stop beating me, that they finally told us that we could leave.”
Before Adeleye and Kareem were allowed to go however, he was allegedly asked to pay N1million. Adeleye agreed to pay the money, fearful he and his driver could be killed in detention and members of his family wouldn’t know.
He said: “It was when I agreed to pay the money, that they released our seized phones. I quickly called my wife and some friends. They raised the money that night and brought it to the command. The policemen allowed Kareem and I to leave.”
When Adeleye got home, he ruminated over the incident, perturbed by the SARS’ men allegations against his predecessor.
Adeleye said that he was disturbed because he and his predecessor had a good working relationship.
He said: “I’m surprised he sent policemen after me. He also lied that I chased him out of office with guns. I don’t have power to relief him of his appointment except the state chairman of NURTW. It’s only the state chairman that can order anyone out of office.”
Recollecting how the policemen stopped them that fateful day, Kareem said it was like a scene straight out of a Hollywood action movie.
He said: “The SARS’ men car appeared from nowhere and blocked us. Immediately we got to the SARS’ office, the policemen collected our phones. They ordered us to sit on the floor. A few minutes later, one of the policemen came back and marched me into a place called ‘Theatre Room.’ It was there one of them shot me on the leg. They asked me to tell them where my boss, Adeleye, hid his guns. I told them we didn’t have guns. Before I knew what was happening, one of them shot me on the leg. Blood started gushing.
“After they had tortured me in the Theatre Room, they brought me out and took me to a cell. I was still in the cell when they came to call me out that the matter had been resolved. I was immediately rushed to a private hospital where I received treatment.”    
Kareem further said: “The policeman that shot me was short and dark in complexion. He was in mufti. He was threatening to hang me before one of them, Mathew persuaded him not to hang me. Thereafter, he took me into the theatre room, where I was tortured before my leg was shot.
“The only officer I can remember his name among the SARS men is Mathew. He was the only junior officer among the team; but he was the only person begging his seniors to leave us, that we didn’t know anything about the gun charges. Mathew’s seniors shouted on him to keep quiet and mind his business.  I was rushed to Badagry General Hospital that same night. If I see the policeman that shot me, I would be able to identify him.”
The former branch chairman of the motor park, Chief Joseph Okafor, who was accused of sending the policemen after Adeleye, said that he just heard of the allegation for the first time. He said that he could not comment for now until he had investigated the matter. He promised to call back after further clarifications.
Adeleye said: “I want justice. I have written a petition to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, because I don’t know why those policemen arrested me. My life is no longer safe. I want a speedy justice from the IG on this matter.”
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Chike Oti, when contacted on the matter, promised to get back to our correspondent. But as at press time, he was yet to do so.

No comments: