Sunday, July 27, 2014

Police deny torturing suspect to death

THE LATE AYOADE
Family members of the young man, who was allegedly tortured to death by policemen attached to the Elere Police Station, are now asking the Lagos State Government and Nigeria Police Force to fish out the killers of their son.

 

Elder brother to the deceased, Alhaji  Tajudeen  Oyolola,  said: “When I  got to the hospital, what I saw  that amazed me was his face. It was swollen, his leg was also broken and part of the body was seriously damaged.”

 

The late Oloyode Ayoade   was allegedly tortured to death by the police after they arrested him and three others at the front of their home last week Thursday at Agege Orile area of Lagos State.

The policemen met the four men drinking, instead of carrying out the mandatory environmental sanitation in the state. They arrested them and later allegedly demanded for N2 million. But before one could say Jack Robison, news came that one of the men, Ayoade had been tortured to death.

The late Ayoade told his friend before he died, that he was tortured by the police who wanted to know the sort of job he did.

 

According to Oyolola, the police have denied being responsible for the death of Ayoade.

 

Oyolola  queried: “How can the police deny that they were not the one who killed my brother? He was not sick before he was arrested and detained at their cell. I  was told by his friends,  whom the police arrested  together  with my brother, that the policemen  tortured  him  and  detained  them in a  separate  cell."

 

The man continued: “I brought him to Lagos after the death of his father 18 year ago. I didn’t want to leave him behind to suffer; that was why I brought him to come and stay with me. And since he had been with me, I have never for once regretted my action. The deceased and I were of the same mother but different fathers.”

 

According to Oyolola, after the incident, he had met with the divisional police officer of Elere to discuss how the Lagos State Police Command would foot the bill of the burial. They also discussed how the police will come and pay condolence visit to other family members at Ibadan.

 

“The DPO told me in his office that the Lagos State Police Command cannot foot the burial,” said Oyolola.

 Oyolola said that what the DPO said annoyed him and he had immediately called Chairman Orile  Agege  Local Government  to come to the family rescue. 

 

He added: "The council boss promised that the matter would not be swept under the carpet. He also assured me that justice would be done.”

 

The deceased’s step mother, Mrs. Mujidat  Oyolola said: “How can the policemen kill my son. My pain now is that the deceased left behind two years old boy.  I want the Lagos State Government to come to the assistance of the little boy.”  

No comments: