Monday, July 21, 2014

‘Greed led me into car snatching’

Thirty-five-year-old Okewu Olayinka, a professional barber, has
revealed how the glitz and glamour of robbery world, painted by his
friend, made him decide to try his hand at robbery.
He failed woefully. He had gone for two car snatching operations,
where he and his gang members wielded guns like they were in Hollywood
a movie, and yet for all his pains and success in making away with two
cars, he did not receive a dime.
He was arrested before he got his share. He is presently in the
custody of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Lagos State Police
Command.
He said: “It was greed that led me into this! I was not satisfied with
what God gave me. I decided to join car snatching because of the way
my friend painted the world of crime and robbery. There was also how
they spent money and lived their lives. I wanted to be like them.
Today, I’m blaming myself for my predicament.
“I know that if Sodiq is caught, my problem will lessen. We went to
his house, but we didn’t see him. He knows I had been caught. My wife
didn’t know that I had been arrested for robbery. My wife is even
pregnant. I know that any moment from now, she would put to bed. I
wish I could be there for her.”
Olayinka, who just got married in June, 2013 said that in his first
operation, he and his gang snatched a Honda Halla Jeep, Ash colour at
Agindigbin.
They also snatched a Toyota Highlander at Ojodu Berger in his second
operation. “We were supposed to snatch a Honda pilot Jeep before we
were   arrested,” he said.
According to Olayinka, his friend Sodiq, a notorious armed robber,
called and invited to join him at Ojota that they were going to
collect a car.
Sodiq told him that his job in the gang would be to drive the snatched vehicles.
He said: “We are four in number in the gang. This is my second time to
follow them to snatch a car. My friend Sodiq, a commercial bus driver
had been long on the job. I live at Imota area of Ikorodu. Sodiq
called and asked me if I knew how to drive private vehicles, I said
yes.  He said I should come and join him at Ojota.
“It was a Wednesday. When I got to Ojota, we slept at the garage, the
four of us. At about 4am, Sodiq came to wake me. He said that we would
be going somewhere. It was that day that we snatched the Honda Halla.
“Before they woke me that day, they had already gotten a car. It was a
jeep, but battered looking and old.  I didn’t know where we were
going, but he told me that any car they secured, I should quickly jump
in and drive.”
While recalling that two among the four of them had guns, Olayinka
said the Honda Halla car was about to drive into a hotel to lodge, at
Agindingbin area of Ikeja, when the gang blocked it. Sodiq jumped down
and rushed and brandished his gun, scaring the driver out of his wit.
“We used the battered black jeep to block the Honda Hall from behind.
We rushed down; Sodiq and ATM were with guns.  I don’t know ATM real
name. As we collect the Honda Halla, we followed Ojodu Berger side. We
abandoned the black jeep.
“As we were going, we were going to take the car to Abule-Egba, to the
buyer. They asked me if I knew the way to Abule-Egba, I said I didn’t
know the way proper. When we got to Ojota, I got down for Sodiq to
take over the car. It was that very day that I met the first guy and
so I didn’t know his name. It was only ATM and Sodiq that I know very
well. He told me that we would be going to collect a vehicle.”
Recollecting the second operation, Olayinka said Sodiq called him and
asked him to meet him at Ojodu Berger.
He explained: “It was on a Saturday. Sodiq said we would be going to
snatch a Highlander jeep. We did. It was a woman who was driving the
jeep. As we collected the car, we headed towards Ebute-Metta. They
told me that they were going to collect money from a man who was
travelling overseas that day. As we reached Ebute-Metta, ATM and I
were asked to hang around at the bus stop.
They said they wanted to go inside to collect information on how to
collect the money foreign currency from the man. Sodiq said that
immediately we sighted the Highlander Jeep, we should quickly join
them. The time was about 4pm in the evening time.”
Olayinka said that when he and ATM sighted Sodiq and their other
partner coming in the Highlander Jeep, they got up and joined them in
the car.
“In less than 25 minutes, we saw a Honda pilot Jeep, coming. They said
that was the man! That he was travelling and had foreign currency in
his possession,” said Olayinka.
He continued: “We followed the car from there. They told me that
immediately we got the man, Sodiq would get down that I should go and
wait. As we reach there, we got down. We had reached the airport road.
As I got down, going and taking over the car from Sodiq, we heard
soldiers shouting ole! Sodiq drove off with the other guy and left me
and ATM behind. We started running. The two of us took different
directions. I didn’t know that area very well and the soldiers
arrested me.”

No comments: