Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cannabis would fetch me $10,000 in China, says suspect



Cannabis would fetch me $10,000 in China, says suspect
A 39-year-old motorcycle parts dealer said that he took to smuggling cannabis because his partner duped him of over N4 million meant for his business. The suspect, Mr Ogbodo David, claimed that he would have made a profit of $10,000 dollars, selling Indian hemp in China, if he had not been arrested.
David was arrested by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for attempting to smuggle 11.06kg of dried weeds that tested positive for cannabis to China. The suspect concealed the drugs in various food items. He was nabbed after the discovery of cannabis inside his bags at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.
The suspect told investigators that he wanted to sell the drugs and use the profit to buy motorcycle parts in China. He said: “I gave a business partner $30,000 (about N4 million) to supply me goods and he disappeared. That brought my business to its knees and I had been struggling to take care of my wife and child for a year now.
I went to many people for financial assistance but nobody was willing to help until I was wrongly advised. A friend told me to smuggle cannabis to China.” David said he bought the cannabis for N200,000 and was told he would make a profit of $10,000 from selling it in China. “I was only interested in getting money for my motorcycle parts business,” he said. NDLEA Commander at the airport, Mr Hamza Umar, said that the suspect was to board a Qatar Airline flight when he was apprehended. He said: “We apprehended David with dried weeds that tested positive for cannabis.
The suspect who deals in motorcycle parts at Nnewi was found with 21 parcels of cannabis hidden inside his bags on his way to China. His travel route as contained in his ticket is Lagos to Doha and from Doha to Guangzhou.” The NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu Giade, expressed delight with the arrest, noting that the suspect would have faced capital punishment if caught with the drugs in China. He said: “Drug trafficking is criminal and many traffickers have died prematurely.
I am glad that we prevented the suspect from facing capital punishment in China.” While calling on members of the public to avoid drug trafficking, the NDLEA boss assured that the agency would continue to protect lives of citizens

No comments: