Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Suspect: I flogged my mum to death, after she killed my granddaughter

An 80-year-old man, Mr Kwacha Manu, has confessed to policemen that he flogged his 100-year-old mother to death because he suspected her of killing his 17-year-old granddaughter through witchcraft.

Kwacha, along with the girl’s father, Likita Manu, 40, have been arrested by the police. The police said that both men would be charged for murdering Inne Kaiyo.
It was gathered that Kwacha killed his mother, Kaiyo, for allegedly killing his granddaughter, Magajiya Manu through witchcraft.
According to Kwacha and Likita, they had repeatedly begged Kaiyo to release Magajiya from witches’ oven, but she had allegedly refused.
The begging was said to have occurred while Magajiya was seriously sick and continued even as her health further deteriorated.  On Thursday morning, Magajiya died.
Kwacha, who could not bear the death of Magajiya, was said to have used a stick and flogged his aged mother to death.
Kwacha said: “When I discovered Magajiya had died, I picked a dried stick and flogged my mother on her legs for killing her great granddaughter through witchcraft. The stick was not enough to have killed her. After killing my granddaughter, I couldn’t just let her go free. I kept asking her why she killed her great grandchild.”
Kwacha further said: "I’m telling you the truth, Magajiya, was the ninth person Inne Kaiyo had killed through witchcraft in both nuclear and extended families. The case of my granddaughter is a well-known issue in our area; every effort we made to free the young girl failed. She died on the way to the hospital, around 8am on Thursday.”
The girl’s father, Likita said: “I was in Rijau when the incident occurred. I wondered why the police had to arrest me along with my father. I don't know why the police arrested me. Aside from the pains of losing my daughter, two of my other children are critically ill back home.
"Since, the incident, I had not even seen the corpse of my daughter. I had no issue with my father over what happened. It’s an act of God. Everyone knows my grandmother was a witch."
Asked how they got to know Kaiyo was responsible for Magajiya’s death, Likita said: “When Magajiya was sick, she kept crying and begging her great grandmother, Inne Kaiyo, to release her soul. We all begged my grandmother to release her, but she refused.”
The Niger State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Abigail Unaeze, said Kwacha and Likita were arrested for culpable homicide and have confessed to committing the crime. She added that the case would soon be charged to court.
 

No comments: