Tuesday, November 14, 2017

How 20 robbers stormed Iyana-Iba Market, unleashed hell

Some victims of Iyana Iba Market robbery, which occurred on Friday in broad daylight, have revealed how robbers attacked and carted away their wares.

Recalling the events of that Friday, some of them explained that they lost huge sums of money. This was even as they disclosed that the suspected robbers, numbering over 20, stormed the market around 1 p.m.
The robbers, who stormed the Iyana-Iba Market, located in Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos, were alleged to have carted away phones and money.
Reacting to the incident on Friday, Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Olarinde Famous-Cole, said that it was not really a robbery.  
According to him, the marauding men were suspected cult members from the Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos (LASU), whom, after their final examination, entered the market and started harassing and extorting people. He disclosed that 11 students of the university were arrested in connection with the crime.
Speaking on Saturday with our correspondent, one of the victims, Ogechi Ibe, trading in phones, said that she lost all her goods after the robbers stormed her selling point.  
According to her, when one of the armed robbers walked to her stand, she thought he was a customer. She came out and welcomed him with a smile.
Ibe said: “As I was waiting for him to point to the phone he wanted, so that we could start negotiation, he broke into my show glass. I shouted and asked him what was his problem; he flipped his shirt and showed me the butt of a gun. I nearly urinated on my body. I was so scared. I had never experienced such a thing before in my life. He packed 17 set of phones, including Android phones, screen touch and button phones and disappeared.”    
Ibe explained that she had been to the police station to complain and had also written a statement.  She said some hours after leaving the station; she received a call from the police. She was told that some of the suspected robbers had been arrested.
She narrated: “I went back to the police station with other traders who were also robbed. The people police arrested are students of LASU. When I looked at them, none of them resembled the men that attacked and robbed us. For me, they should allow the students to go. If government wants to do something, they should come and help us with money. I just borrowed over N300, 000 to buy goods because of December rush. I don’t know what to do, where to go or who to run to for assistance.”
Another phones seller, Irene Michael, said that she was still reeling in shock. She said that it was right in her presence that the robbers stormed the market and started shooting into the air.  
Michael said: “Immediately they finished shooting into the air, one of the armed robbers used his bare hands to break my show glass. He carted away all my phones.  The shattered show glass injured his hand. It was this morning that I washed his bloodstains off. The armed robber slapped my younger sister, Blessing. He slapped her because she tried to remove his hands from the show glass. I was just looking at the robbers. I couldn’t do anything.”
An eyes witness, Isah, a shoemaker, said that he scampered for safety immediately the robbers started shooting.
Isah said: “It was clear that the armed robbers came solely for the phone sellers.”
Another eyewitness, Mr. Stephen Nwaeze, said that the armed robbers didn’t bother to enter the main market; rather, they concentrated on traders selling phones in show glasses by the roadside.  
Michael disclosed that the incident didn’t last for more than 10 minutes.
His words: “Immediately I heard the gunshot, I laid face down in my shop. At my age and my experience, I don’t just run without knowing where bullets are coming from. I was in my shop, watching people running left and right. It’s very dangerous to run like that.”
LASU’s Head, Centre for Information, Press and Public Relations, Ademola Adekoya, denied that the robbers were students of LASU.  He noted that it was bad for people to come up with allegations, without first investigating or verifying an incident.
Adekoya said: “It can never be students of our university; our students had never done such before and couldn’t start now. If those police arrested are students of LASU and are part of those that robbed the market, then the police should report to the school authority. The school will investigate, and if it’s true, the students would be dismissed.”

No comments: