Sunday, November 19, 2017

Policeman batters woman, 64, threatens to shoot medical doctor


A policeman, Omolayo Ojo, attached to the Lagos State Governor Monitoring Team (GMT), Ikeja, has been alleged of assaulting  a 64-year- old woman and injuring her son.
The son was allegedly attacked, while trying to stop the policeman from harassing his mother.

The woman and her son, who was preparing for his National Youth Service Corp, went to Idumota Market, Island,  to  buy some items he would take to camp.
Our correspondent also learnt that the aged woman, Bolaji Faleye, and her son Adejare Faleye, were taken to the Island by a neighbour.
The neighbour dropped them by Adeniji Adele bus stop. Immediately the driver left, the policeman came out from a parked Black Maria, grabbed the woman and ordered her to enter their vehicle.
Recalling the incident, Bolaji said: “ To our surprise, the policeman just appeared and held my cloth, trying to force me to enter a Back Maria vehicle. Initially, I didn’t know why he was dragging me, but my son, who was watching, rushed towards the policeman to prevent him from injuring me. My son asked him what my offence was; and before I knew what was happening,  he punched my son and started beating  him. It was in that process that he told us that we were not supposed to park at roundabout . He said we were obstructing traffic.
“While the policeman was still dragging me, my son was on the ground, writhing in pain. His arm had been dislocated. My son then called some traders, who were close to the scene. They came to my rescue. I was able to phone my other children and they rushed to the scene.”
Faleye recounted: “The policeman was not supposed to treat us in that manner. It was not my mother that drove the car. We were only given a ride to the spot. I expected them to go after the driver that drops us at the junction, not to attack us. Immediately we alighted from the car, we were about going into the market when he came and grabbed my mother, trying to force her to enter a Black Maria vehicle. I couldn’t stand there watching him harassed my mother;  that was why I approached him. He pounced on me and broke my arm.”
Faleye further  said: “It was my elder brother, who is a medical doctor that came to the scene and rushed me to the Accident and Emergency Centre at toll gate, where I was admitted. The policeman also seized my three phones. I was shocked any policeman could be rude and brutal to old women.”
Mr. Oludare Faleye, elder brother of  Faleye and son to Bolaji, said he was in his office when he received a distressed call from his mother. She was weeping so hard that he could hardly make sense of what she was saying. But he finally understood enough to rush down to Lagos Island.
He said: “When I got to the scene, I tried to pacify the policeman and listened to what happened. But to my surprise, he went into the Black Maria, brought out his rifle and threatened to shoot me if I didn’t leave.”
He explained that after ensuring his kid brother was treated, he went straight to the GMT office at Alausa and lodged a complaints.
The  officer in charge of the unit, promised to foot the medical bill of the victim.  “But we’re not out to tarnish GMT image, rather, we want to send a strong message to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, for him to know his men relate with members of the public.”
When contact, the officer in charge of the GMT, told our correspondent to come to their office for clarification. While the state’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Olarinde Famous- Cole, said he was not aware of the incident.

No comments: