Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Policeman slapped me five times, lawyer alleges

 A lawyer, Barrister Stephen Ajagba, has alleged that a police officer, Inspector Gbenga Daniel, attached to Meiran Police Station, gave him five hot slaps, without his committing any crime.

Speaking with this reporter at Ogba Magistrate’s Court, Ajagba said that the incident occurred when he went to the station to see a client. The client had been detained for over a week.
The angry lawyer said that Daniel slapped and treated him like a common criminal.
According to Ajagba, when he got to the station, he told the policemen that his client should be granted bail or taken to court. He said that when he made that observation, Daniel became uneasy.
Ajagba said that when he was making his requests, the Divisional Crime Officer (DCO), Daniel and other policemen were there. But it was only Daniel that told him in a threatening to move far away from where he was standing.
Ajagba said: “Perhaps after hearing what Daniel said, the DCO also became hostile. He asked who is this mad man?”  He was referring to me. I responded that I was not a mad man. The same Daniel stood up and held my tie. He asked me, “Do you know that you’re a suspect?” I thought he was joking.  Before I knew what was happening, he slapped me.  He slapped me again on the left side of my face. I told him that what he was doing was wrong. As I was talking to him, he kept slapping me; in fact, he slapped me five times.
“When he released me, I brought out my phone to take pictures of his handprints on my face; the DCO took my phone from me. I believed it was a gang up against me. As if that was not enough, Daniel held my tie, dragged me to the counter and said that I was detained.” 
Ajagba said that after Daniel slapped him, he was locked up for 24 hours and arraigned in court for assaulting police officers.
Ajagba’s lawyer, Mr. Justice Uhuegbe, said that it was quite an unfortunate incident. He said that his client’s encounter with the policemen highlighted abuses and police brutality against citizens of Nigeria.
Uhuegbe said: “The policemen beat him up. He was slapped several times. In Nigeria today, everyone is talking about human rights and rule of law, how can such a thing continue to happen in some police stations?
The question now is, are we still in the democratic dispensation? And if such thing could happen to a lawyer, one wonders what ordinary citizens would be going through in the hands of policemen.”
Uhuegbe said that many policemen had abused and brutalised people without them being brought to book by the police authority.
Our correspondent gathered that at least 20 lawyers embarked on a peaceful protest at the Ogba Magistrate’s Court, demanding that justice should be done.
When our correspondent contacted Daniel, he said that he didn’t know what the correspondent was talking about. He cut off the call and further attempts made to call him back were abortive, as his phone was switched off.
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, when contacted, said he was not aware of the incident. He promised to investigate and get back to our correspondent. But as at press time, Famous-Cole was yet to get back.

No comments: