Monday, July 2, 2018

How assassins killed former Glo Executive Director

The late Okon
Mr Victor Iyanam has revealed how his brother, a former Glo Executive Director, turned hotelier, Mr Okon Iyanam 52, was murdered at the Mowe area of Ogun State.

According to him, the killers crashed into a birthday party at Okon’s hotel at Mowe and demanded to know the owner of the hotel. When Okon was identified, the gunmen shot him point blank on the neck region, killing him instantly.
Many of his friends have taken to Facebook Wall to mourn and expressed shock over his shocking murder.
Victor has described the murder of Okon as tragic. He then briefly sketched how the late Okon was killed.
His words: “Okon, in the early hours of June 27, 2018, had just recently opened his new Heritage Hotels and Resorts in Mowe, Ogun State, where he spent most of his time trying to stabilize the management and sales techniques. He reported a successful ongoing venture. While a birthday party was going on in the hotel, some men, suspected to be either armed robbers or hired assassins crashed into the place at about 12.30am with sporadic gun shots. They asked for the owner. When he was eventually identified, he was shot at close range in the neck region. He stood no chance. He died instantly. The police first responders then deposited his body in a morgue. I rushed to Lagos upon the information delivered to me and confirmed for myself, the level of wickedness anybody could deliver to a man whose only crime was working hard for his livelihood.”
Okon graduated from the University of Calabar in 1986. He started his career with UAC Foods immediately after his NYSC in 1987. Thereafter, he worked across almost all sectors of the economy.
He worked with Akwa Ibom State Government owned Peacock Paints, serving as the Marketing Manager in Lagos; 33 Export Lager Beer, serving as the Area Manager, Makurdi; Glo GSM Network as pioneer Marketing Manager.
He was later elevated to the position of Chief Operating Officer and eventually left Glo as Executive Director, Sales and Marketing.
He, at some point also served as the Chief Marketing Officer, V-Mobile. He retired to consulting and later, farming in Mowe and Katsina. The Heritage Hotel was his latest and now last venture.
He was interested in the Governorship of Akwa Ibom State and first used the platform of the PDP. When this was not possible, he bought the gubernatorial ticket under the platform of the Accord Party. He was a consummate Marketer and Social Commentator. He loved the Internet and used it effectively as a vehicle for the propagation of his ideas on wide strata of subjects.

One of his friends, Goddie Dgreat Ofose, recalled how he got to hear the shattering news.
His words: “Aniekan Umanah put a call through at exactly 9.47pm to break the unfortunate news, but I never believed it. I tried to confirm through his bosom friend, Emeka Oparah, but couldn't get through. I then called a mutual friend, Azuh Arinze, who obviously never heard the forbidden news. He promised to get back if he finds anything but I never heard from him. On browsing my Facebook, I saw it on one of us, Oyomumoh, Ukpong's wall.”
Ofose recounted that he had, just a few days ago, spoken about a pet project with Okon, and the deceased had promised to support the project.
Okon had responded to Ofose’s project, thus: “Fose, we need people like you in government. Your father was a good man and lion does not give birth to a goat. You are a good boy.”

Another friend, Azuh Arinze said: “Mr Okon Iyanam, gone? Still can’t believe it, and that’s the truth. I first got a whiff of your shocking and brutal departure from Dedem Emeka Oparah, who incidentally introduced us, sometime in the afternoon yesterday. But because I was trying to tidy up my handover notes as the outgoing 2017/2018 President of Rotary Club of RC Ikeja South, I forgot to follow up like he had directed me. Again, it was also because I was still living in doubt and afraid of any confirmation. But not long after I drove into my compound, at night, a call hit me.
“This time, from BJAN President and my friend, Ofose. I feigned ignorance, yet praying that this never happened. You can therefore imagine my shock, anger and sadness when it was eventually confirmed that you’ve quit this planet. Death, we all know, is inevitable. However, yours, from what I am hearing, was callously and cowardly executed. And I am trusting God to visit his vengeance on the perpetrators. You were one of the most cerebral men I ever encountered. Full of life, detribalised and always fun to be with; you never minced words nor shied away from saying it as it is. Widely travelled and connected, it was always a delight sipping from your fountain of knowledge and wisdom.”
Arinze recalled his first meeting with Okon at Dedem Emeka’s Park View home in Ikoyi, Lagos. Then, the second time at the Lekki home of Mr Ken Tadaferua.
Arinze noted: “It was my turn to host the third meeting, which unfortunately you couldn’t make. I was planning another meeting this October to coincide with Dedem’s birthday. As a matter of fact, I only thought about it days before this sad news. Ha! So, you are gone? And we won’t be seeing you again, until on the last day, in heaven? Woe unto death! And a greater woe to those behind this, if the story out there is true. Bros, like I used to hail you, I still owe you a better tribute. This, however, is only an interim stuff. My eyes are covered with tears even as my heart quakes and bleeds. My today, as a matter of fact, is totally messed up. You told me you were proud of me the day I launched my last book, #TheCEOsBible. You told me too many things and even promised to...”
Akin Fadeyi, also the deceased’s friend said: “I heard hours after it happened. Trued Ofose number frantically, he was unreachable. Tried Emeka Oparah, no luck; I had to call Bolaji Okusaga at 1: am, gratefully and so kindly, he picked but had scanty information. Chris Adetayo
eventually confirmed for me dead in the night and the sleep deserted me and I still can’t wink or doze till now.”
 Okon Iyanam, my Boss and Chief Marketing Officer at

No comments: