Sunday, July 15, 2018

My church member introduced me to car snatching, says gospel singer

CP.Lagos. Edgal Imohimi
A gospel singer, Mr Augustine Stanley, revealed to detectives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command, that his church members introduced him into car snatching.
Stanley 31, and others, Emmanuel Ogba, 45, aka Tablet, Matthew Ogba 30, Fidelis Nelson 41, aka MP, AbayomiAdebisi 42, Sunday Solomon 41 and Emmanuel Olusegun 37, were arrested on June 16, while trying to sell a snatched car. Mathew and Emmanuel are blood brothers.
According to the police, the suspects, who are based in Ogun State, used to operate in other states.
The gang met its Waterloo after police received information about their operations. Armed with this information, SARS and other conventional policemen ambushed and arrested them.
Items recovered from the suspects are Toyota Camry car without registration number, one toy gun and several SIM cards.
Stanley, who introduced himself as a gospel singer and a barber, was arrested with his other gang members around 5pm in Ogun State. He claimed to have been lured into crime by a member of his church, Mr Fidelis Nelson.
He said:  “I’m a gospel artist. Robbery is not my work. I was introduced to this by Nelson. He wanted us to snatch a car in order to get our daily bread. At first I refused, but he later forced me to do it. I agreed because I wanted to use the money to buy more instruments to fulfil my purpose. After we stole the car, I went to my village and then one day, Fidelis called me to come and collect my; that was how I was arrested.”
Speaking about the gang and its operation, Mathew said:  “I’m not a thief! I was told by my brother that there was a car to sell, and that I should get buyers for the car. I got a buyer and we negotiated the price. It was when he was about to pay that the police came and arrested us.”
Emmanuel, a father of six, from Benue State, said: “I’m into laundry business. It was Mr Fidelis Nelson that called and told me he had a car to sell. I called my brother and asked him to bring a buyer. As I was about to collect my share of the money, police appeared and arrested us. I didn’t know the car was a stolen one.”
Adebisi, a building contractor, said he did not steal any car, insisting that it was his friend that involved him in the crime.

No comments: