Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Police storm hotels, arrest 120 suspected cultists in Lagos

The Lagos State Police Command Anti-Cultism Unit, said it has arrested 120 suspected cult members in the state.
The suspects were alleged to have been arrested during cult members July 7, celebrations. The date, usually tagged as7/7, is a slated day meant for different cult groups to carry out reprisal against rival groups.
The day is usually characterized by bloodletting, murders, attacks and mayhem. Most time, unsuspecting citizens of Lagos are injured and killed in the cross fire.
The suspects were arrested in areas like Ibeshe, Ele-Epo, Ogombo and Ajah parts of the metropolis on July 7.
The police said that the suspects were arrested during the celebration of 7/7 at different hotels.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Imohimi Edgal, said that he had earlier warned the cult members to desist from gathering to foment trouble in the state.
 It will be recalled that on July 5, Imohimi had charged cultists across the state not to converge on any part of the state on July 7.
Imohimi said: “The arrest was based on credible intelligence gathering. The information was communicated to the officer in charge of Anti-Cultism Unit. This led to the arrest of 120 suspected cultists. They were arrested at Ikorodu area while observing their 7/7 celebration. Some were also arrested during initiation preparation to unleash mayhem in the society.”
One of the suspects, Emmanuel Jerry (26), said: “I have a friend in my community. He introduced me to cultism. My friend threatened to kill me if I didn’t join the group. It is because I didn’t want to die young that I decided to join them.  We were in hotel at Ile-Epo area, celebrating our annual 7/7 when policemen swooped on us. They arrested some of us, while others escaped.”
Another suspect, Ibrahim Mustapha (29), explained that one of his friends, who once stood surety when he went to get a motorcycle on installment, initiated him into cultism.
His words: “When I was making efforts to get the motorcycle back, someone advised me to go back to my friend who stood surety for me to assist me in the recovering of my motorcycle. When I approached him, the condition he gave me was that I should become a member of their cult group. I was desperate back then; I decided to join them in January last year. We were together in the hotel, celebrating 7/7 when policemen came to arrest us at Ile-Epo area on Saturday night. Now, I have disgraced my parents. I don’t know how they will feel if they see me on television as a cult member.”
Monday James (30) said that he joined the Aiye Confraternity Group as a result of intimidation from a cult member.
James said: “Whenever I was going out in our area, the leader of the cult group would order me to remove my shirt and give to him. Sometimes, they would also threaten to kill me if I didn’t join them. I finally joined because I didn’t want to die. I was initiated into the cult group last year. I was also arrested in the hotel with my colleagues.”
Ebube Ebuka (24) told our correspondent that he was initiated into the cult group in Enugu State, but continued after he got to Lagos State.
Ebuka said: “I was initiated when some suspected cultists collected my phone. They instructed me to come at a particular location to collect it. When I got to where they asked me to come and collect my phone, I met the cultists initiating new members.  They told me to be part of them or else they would kill me because I had seen what they were doing and knew their secrets. I had to join them.”
Chidi Eric (29), also has his own story to tell. Eric said: “Policemen came to arrest me at home. I had already left the hotel before their arrival at the hotel. Immediately I saw the policemen in the hotel where were celebrating, I escaped with our operational gun. I was however shocked to when the policemen traced me home and arrested me.”

No comments: