Monday, July 30, 2018

Woman arrested for throwing granddaughter into well

The Niger State Police Command has arrested a 55-year-old grandmother, Aisha Ibrahim, for allegedly killing her two-year-old granddaughter at Karaya Fulani Camp in Rafi Local Government Area of the state. 


Aisha was said to have been trailed and arrested by detectives attached to Kagara Police Division, just as she was trying to escape to an unknown destination. 

According to sources, Aisha tied her granddaughter with rope and threw her into a well in their compound. The murder was said to have been carried to allegedly humiliate the mother of the child. 

The incident took place after her son, Bello Ibrahim and his wife, left the child in her custody to attend a naming ceremony in a neighbouring village.

It was further gathered that Aisha and her daughter-in-law have had series of misunderstanding since Bello married, which was alleged to be part of the reason she murdered her granddaughter.

Further checks revealed that Aisha, who had been looking for a way to deal her daughter in-law, took advantage of their outing to carry out her evil act.

Aisha, who hailed from Funtua Katsina State, told our correspondent on Thursday that since her son's married his wife, there had been lot of issues, which couldn’t be settled.

Aisha further said: “I told my husband to tell his son to divorce his wife, but he didn’t listen to me. My daughter in-law is fond of insulting and assaulting me all the time, and the only way I could pay her back was to tie her daughter with a rope and threw her inside a well to die. This will make my daughter-in-law to equally feel the pains and agony I had been going through. We have been living in peace as one big family before my son married her. I have 12 children and all of us are living in one compound. She cannot come from somewhere to destroy the family I have suffered for years to keep. It is unacceptable!”

Asked whether she regretted her action, Aisha replied: “It was temptation. I didn't know when I did it. May Allah forgive me. Honestly, it was a wicked act that can never be accepted anywhere in the world."

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Muhammad Abubakar, who confirmed the incident, said that Aisha has confessed to the crime and regretted her action.  Abubakar disclosed that Aisha would soon be arraigned in court.

No comments: