Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I got N3,000 from N16m robbery, says suspect


I got N3,000 from N16m robbery, says suspect
A robbery suspect has told detectives at the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos that he got only N3,000 from N16 million his gang realised from a robbery operation at Makoko area of the state.
However, the suspect, Olamide Kolawole, a cobbler, seemed unperturbed by the sharing formula.
He said that the money was brought to him by his best friend, Rasaki, a commercial motorcyclist Kolawole also claimed that Rasaki dragged him into the robbery operation he never wanted to partake in.

“The money was shared according to ‘lion’s share’ formula. It means that only the old members would get big shares. That operation was the first time I joined them. In fact, I didn’t even know they were going for a robbery operation on that day,” the 24-year-old Kolawole said.
Arrested along with Kolawole was Oladun Moyemi, 20, a barber. Just like his partner in crime, Moyemi denied knowing that he was partaking in a robbery operation. He said he was tricked into joining in the operation. Surprisingly, the two of them gave two different versions of what transpired on the night of the robbery.
While Kolawole said it was an 11-man gang that embarked on the operation and his share was given to him the following day, Moyemi said they were just seven men that went for the operation and the loot was shared that same day before they all went home.
Recalling how he got into police net, Kolawole said: “I was arrested through information given to the police. I was walking on the street, about to go and buy medicine, when the police arrested me. “Rasaki is my best friend. It was through Rasaki that I got to know other members of the gang.
We were 11 that went for that robbery. We went to rob at Makoko area. We went on a Sunday. We were returning from a club at Sabo called MP (Meeting Point). On the way home, they said they had a work they wanted to go and do. I didn’t know they were going to rob.
They didn’t tell me anything.” Kolawole said that as they moved, he noticed that the time was about 11pm. The gang members hired different taxies after agreeing to meet at a particular venue at Makoko. He said: “My work was just to stay outside and watch with other two persons.
We were watching for people. There was no light on that day. They said a guy brought the job for them. They said the person had N16 million with him. “When we reached the targeted building, they asked two of their members to stay with me outside, while others entered into the building.
The following day, which was on Monday, Rasaki came and gave me N3,000 and a Techno phone. They said the largest share would go to those who had been with the gang for long.” Since his arrest, police have been searching frantically for Rasaki, but he appeared to have vanished.
“I have taken the police to Rasaki’s place at Ebute-Metta, but we did not see him. I believe he knew that I had been arrested and disappeared. But maybe if we go to his mother’s place, we may find him there. I did not know that Rasaki was a robber.
I know him as a shoemaker,” Kolawole added. On his part, Moyemi said he and others were not robbers, initially. He said: “We are always involved in street fights with other youths from other streets.
There was a street jam on that day. We were seven that went for that robbery operation. “We were not up to 11. Rasaki came with four of his friends. Then there were two of us; myself and Kolawole.
The street jam was held at Olulu Street. As we were going home, we did not know that Rasaki and his other friends had another plan. “When we reached the targeted house, Rasaki asked us to stay outside.
Rasaki is our friend, but we call him Sobo. Rasaki and others later came out with bags and some other items. They did not go in through the front of the building; they went in through the back. “Rasaki gave me a phone, an Asha 202, and N6,000. It was on the same day that they shared the money.
“I did not know they were going for robbery. It was when they were coming out with bags from the building that it dawned on me that they went to rob. “The following morning, Rasaki and his four friends left for Ajah, where they live. Some days later, I heard that Olamide had been arrested.
But I didn’t know what he was arrested for.” Asked if there used to be killings during the streets fight, Moyemi replied in the affirmative. He said: “We used to kill each other during the street fights. Our gang had once killed a boy, while three people had been killed in our gang by our opponents.
“I don’t know what they normally fight for in such street fights. Many of us don’t know the cause of the fights and we were just dragged into it. When the older boys in the community send us on errands, the opponents know and would begin to target us. Thus we would have no choice than to join.
We use machetes to fight while the older ones use guns. But many of them had been arrested now.” Moyemi said he was ready to cooperate with the police in fishing out Rasaki and other fleeing members of the gang

No comments: