Sunday, May 14, 2017

N140m Forex: Banker arrested for defrauding fellow banker



Operatives of the Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT) have arrested a banker, who allegedly duped his fellow banker N140million Forex.

Christian Akanaga 31, a banker with a second generation bank, was arrested by the operatives led by Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Abba Kyari, for defrauding a banker based in Akwa Ibom State.
According to police, Akanaga milked his colleague the sum of N140million in a Forex deal.  
The police said: “Investigations revealed that the suspect swindled his victim of the said sum under the guise of selling the dollar equivalent to her, but he eventually diverted the money for his own personal use.”
 Akanaga, who described himself as a former banker with First City Monument Bank (FCMB), living at Abuja, Gawaki area, explained: “I was a staff of FCMB bank.  I sell Forex part time, outside my banking work. I met the victim through a Managing Director named Yusuf. I have been doing transactions with her until I ran into trouble. Since I have been running my Forex Company, I’ve never had any issue until recently. My company ran into several debts.  N140million was given to me by Esther Michael, a banker and Daniel Abraham, also gave me money.  I used the money to pay off by debts. Esther gave me N116million to source for $240, 0000, while Abraham, gave me N43million to source for $90,000. The moment these money came, I used it to offset the debt I owe. I, however, managed to pay Esther $25,000.  This transaction was done in February. If I’m given time, I promise to refund her money.”

No comments: