Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Police released gun owner after collecting bribe- Suspect


Nwede

A suspected Black Axe confraternity member, Lawrence Nwede, has accused policemen attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command, of allegedly releasing his colleague after collecting bribe.

Nwede 37, also a trader at Alaba International Market, said: “I and some of my cult members assisted our leader in contributing money to buy the gun for him. The gun was given to me to keep. One fateful day, I went to the market, leaving my wife at home. It was in the processing of cleaning the house that she found some bullets, where I had hidden them. When I returned home, she confronted me, demanding to know the owner of the gun. I tried to explain to her, but she didn’t listen. Before I returned from market the following day, she has moved all her belongings and my children from the house. It was as a result of that, I decided to return the gun to our leader.”
Nwede added: “I was taking the gun to our leader when some policemen came to our area to raid.  I started running; I ran because I didn’t want the policemen to find the gun on me. Some local vigilante men chased and caught me. They beat me mercilessly; that was how I sustained all the injuries on my body.
“It was when the local security men were beating me that policemen came to the scene. I told the policemen at the scene that I had a gun in my possession. I wanted to go with the policemen. I was later transferred to SARS’ office at the command headquarters, Ikeja. I told the police how they could arrest the owner of the gun.  Sincerely, they arrested him and brought him to SARS office, but to my surprise, they released him. He was released because he is an influential person in the market. He bailed himself out. I’m the only person suffering now.”
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, said the suspect would be charge to court.


No comments: