Thursday, July 3, 2014

Child trafficking syndicate: Police buy girl, 7, for N650,000


Undercover police bust child trafficking syndicate
Detectives at the Special Anti- Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos, have smashed a childselling syndicate in the state by posing as buyers.
The suspects are identified as Fausat Ogidan, Abibatu Oresanya, Idiatu Abbas and Bola Obidiruwa.
The Officer in Charge of SARS, Superintendent of Police, Abba Kyarri, with his men had been interacting and haggling with the child-sellers on how they would sell the nine-year-old girl.
The police bought the child for N650,000. They arranged for the sellers to meet them at Gbagada Mobil Filling Station. Determined not to give them a leeway of escape from prosecution, the policemen had met with the women on the final day of transaction with marked money.

But immediately they collected the money and handed over the child, and were walking away, police flipped out their identity cards and told them they were under arrest. The women were said to have almost fainted.
According to a police source, the trailing of the syndicate started after police received a tip-off on June 6. Ogidan, 51, said that the child, whose name was Yetunde, but called renamed Blessing by the women, was given to her by one Bola Obidiruwa aka Iya-Alaje residing at Agege.
When Obajuruwa was arrested, she said that Yetunde was given to her by one Idayat Abbas aka Iya Ghana. Abbas on the other hand disclosed that the girl was given to her by her elder sister, Abibat Oresanya, 48, aka Iya Lanre living at Ibafo, Ogun State. When Oresanya was apprehended, she fingered someone in Ibadan, who is presently at large. Speaking with journalists, Yetunde said she did not know the names of her parents.
Investigation showed that Yetunde was given to the first suspect, Ogidan by Bola for N350,000, while Ogidan decided to sell her for N650,000. Ogidan said: “I’m a divorcee. I have three children. I’m a traditional healer. The police arrested me because I wanted to sell the child for N650,000.
I collected the child from Bola Obidiruwa. Bola said I should pay N350,000. This is the first time I am doing such a business. I told the person that a man wanted to buy the child because his wife did not have a child.”
Oresanya, who sells wine, said: “One of my friends gave me the child. The name of my friend is Adenike aka De Gold. She lives in Ibadan. She said that I should find somebody whom the girl would work for as house help.
I gave her to my sister Idiyat to give to my friend Iya-Alaje to help her do house help work because Iya-Alaje said she needed house help. She paid me N100,000 through my sister.
It is about two years now since I bought her.” Abbas, 40, married to a Ghanaian, explained she rushed down to Nigeria, after receiving a frantic call, that there was a juicy business. The call was from her friend.
She said: “When I got here, police arrested me. It is because of the child I gave to Bola. Bola paid me N105,000. I gave my sister Abibat N100,000. It was only N5,000 I collected from the money.”
Obidiruwa, 48, a mother of four, who sells herb in Agege, said that Abbas bought Yetunde from her for N105,000. It was gathered that SARS operatives have embarked on a manhunt for the suspect at Ibadan and search for Yetunde’s parents.

No comments: