Thursday, July 3, 2014

Joblessness pushes me to drug trafficking, says suspect


Joblessness pushes me to drug N78m fraud at KOSACA trafficking, says suspect
A suspected drug trafficker has told operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement (NDLEA) that he chose to smuggle methamphetamine because the drug barons who recruited him, promised to get him a juicy job in Malaysia.
The suspect, Osita Chukwu Michael Orurno, was arrested at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.
He was arrested in possession of a kilogramme of methamphetamine. According to the suspect, he was to be paid $3,000, if he had succeeded in getting the illicit substance to the agreed destination.

“I was to be paid $3,000 when I get to Malaysia with the drug. I work as a labourer in Enugu State. I am single and searching for a job. I was excited when they offered to sponsor my trip to Malaysia and pay me $3,000.
This is my first time in Lagos and they promised to assist me in securing a job in Malaysia. Unfortunately, the drug was found in my bag,” Oruno said.
According to the Head, Media and Publicity, NDLEA, Mitchell Ofoyeju, the suspect concealed the drug inside the pockets of jeans trousers in his bag.
He said: “Officials detected the drug during the outward screening of Egypt Air passengers to Malaysia.”
The NDLEA Commander at the Lagos Airport, Mr Hamza Umar, said that the arrest was due to the diligent search conducted by the officers. He said: “It took the diligent search by the officers during screening of passengers to detect the drug.
The drug tested positive for methamphetamine and weighed 1kg. Six parcels of the drug were found in the pockets of three pairs of jeans trousers inside a bag belonging to the suspect.
The case is under investigation.” The NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu Giade, urged members of the public to be cautious of tricks employed by drug barons.
He added: “Members of the public should avoid being used by drug barons to smuggle drugs abroad.
They use so many tricks such as promising job opportunities abroad and assuring them that they will not be caught.” The NDLEA boss added that every arrest and drug seizure made was a victory for the country’s anti-narcotic campaign.
He urged his men to remain vigilant and prevent the airport from being used for drug trafficking. Ofoyeju said that the suspect would soon be charged to court.

No comments: