Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My parents knew I was a robber, says suspect

Detectives attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad(SARS), were shocked to their bone marrows when a suspected robber gleefully told them that his parents were fully aware that he is a robber.

The suspect, Mutiu Rasheed 22, said it was his mother who first discovered that he was into robbery after some gang members stormed their home and told his mother that he was in possession of their guns.
The suspect and his gang members Ahmed Musiliu 23, and Sodiq Dadan were arrested SARS in an operation led by Mr. Abba Kyari on February 5, 2015. Two guns and six cartridges were recovered from them.
Rasheed who disclosed that his parents warned strictly to desist from armed robbery, added that they had not come to visit him since his arrest by SARS.
He said: “I live with my parents at Ketu. I used to work as an Aluminium producer before I joined the gang. My mother first knew about this when my gang members came to our house. They reported me to her, saying that I fled with their guns to Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State. My mother called me on phone and begged me to return their guns, but I did not listen. I was using the guns to go on operations in Ijebu Ode. We snatched vehicles which included a Toyota Sienna. We sold them, but the gang has not given me my share. Since the police arrested me, my parents have not come to check on me.”

The police said that the suspects were arrested at the Isheri Berger area. The police further said that the gang used to organise robberies during which several vehicles were snatched.

Musiliu, who had served a one-year jail term at the Ikoyi Prisons, said he had been going out with robbery gangs for about five years. His words: “In 2008, I was arrested for armed robbery. We were five members in that gang. I was sent to Ikoyi Prisons where I served one-year jail term. We had robbed in Ikorodu, Oshodi, Ketu and Ijebu-Ode areas. When I came out of prison, I joined another gang. The gang leader provided the guns. I was part of the gang that snatched a Toyota Camry vehicle in Ikorodu area. We sold the vehicle at a giveaway price and I was given N100, 000.”

Dada, the third suspect, said he was formerly a commercial bus driver before he was lured into robbery. He confessed that he had gone on several robbery operations.

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, confirmed the arrest, adding that investigations were ongoing on the matter. He added: “ The suspects have made useful statements and investigations into their activities are ongoing.”

No comments: